Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP - fresh install went okay, except sound.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Old_Feller

Old_Feller

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:57 PM

Hello friends. Some of you helped me a few weeks ago with a Repair Install, Win XP, that we never could get activated. This is the same computer.

I decided to give up on the repair install. I wiped the HD and loaded a fresh install (from the genuine Microsoft "For Refurbished PCs" Windows XP Pro disk). It went fine, except there is a problem with the sound driver.

This is a Dell tower Optiplex GX 280, standard video and sound, built onto the original MB.

Device Mgr = Yellow Mark at Realtek AC'97 Audio. Click on that and get Properties, where it states "the drivers for this device are not installed".

Click Reinstall Driver and that brings up the Hardware Update Wizard.  OK to install, it seems to go through all the motions to install, but ends with the following note:

"There was a problem installing the hardware Realtek AC'97 Audio.  The driver installation file is missing a necessary entry.

How can I repair or reinstall this "installation file"? And how in the world can something be wrong with it? I've redone this install and tried "Repair Install" to see if it would fix the issue. No luck. Nothing I did changed anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:38 PM

Download the AC-97 driver here.

Windows 98Gold/98se/Me/2000/XP/2003(32/64 bits) for Driver only. For Windows 98 SE, DirectX®8 is required to enable advanced features. (Executable file) A4.06 2008/10/1 18295k Global

Edit: According to Dell's site the audio chipset is an ADI. If Device Manager says Realtek try the AC-97 driver I linked to first. If the chipset is ADI then the driver install will fail.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/optiplex-gx280/drivers

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 May 2017 - 02:40 PM.

#3 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:07 AM

hmmmm..... tried download and computer abruptly shut down and rebooted, followed with fatal error message. later i did restart and 130 updates downloaded. went to dell, tried to download dellsystemdetect and it upgraded .net framework, followed by attempt to run dellsystemdetect. got the following message:   (had already tried dell. Before 130 updates, it never attempted to fix .net framework.)

Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
    * Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\don\My Documents\Downloads\DellSystemDetect.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
        + Exception reading manifest from file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/don/My%20Documents/Downloads/DellSystemDetect.application: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.
        + Manifest XML signature is not valid.
        + SignatureDescription could not be created for the signature algorithm supplied.

not sure what to make of it. maybe wait for another update and see if something changes. I think you're right and realtek AC'97 is the wrong driver.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:16 AM

Do you have sound? I think all those errors relate to the Dell System Detect software. Are there any other yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager and how is the system running now?

Edit: I would avoid having .NET on a XP computer. There are large security issues with .NET that have not been patched. Do you plan on having this computer online after updates?

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 May 2017 - 10:18 AM.

#5 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:38 AM

No, I didn't. But I went to "see all drivers for this model" and found it. And you were right. 

so now - I HAVE SOUND !!

So you mean the computer will run without .net? Then I suppose I'll get rid of it. The computer will be online occasionally. It'll be in a guest room.

The system is operating nicely. There are some other yellow exclaimation marks. Video controller. ethernet controller. But the picture looks fine to me and I'm on the internet. Still I wonder what all that other error stuff is about. I mean the computer should load and run dellsystemdetect just fine, right? Do you think that me trying to load the wrong sound driver could have left some trash somewhere that has corrupted a file ??

Thank You for all your help!!!!!   :thumbup2:

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:06 AM

Only a few programs require .NET. I would not bother with Dell System Detect software. That is just bloat. Was the sound drive that worked the one on Dell's site, the ADI sound driver? You can find the other drivers on the Dell Support site for your computer. See my post #2

#7 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:23 AM

Yes it was the ADI driver. I'll just get rid of the systemdetect then. But I still wonder why a dell computer wont run it. Just seems like something is still not quite right. But everything else is working...

I've heard a couple little skip-jerks in the music, as I've played videos on youtube. Especially if I open another window and look something up. It's like the RAM isn't quite up to par. I think I've only got 1 GB in this machine right now though. I hope it's not flash player. I'm using Firefox right now.

And okay, I'll look for the other drivers at Dell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users