Initially the problem was we couldn’t access the internet on Windows 7/64. Synptoms were :
1. Others on network could
2. Using primarily Chrome/Aol – both “page cannot be displayed”
3. Using IE11 or Chrome same result
4. Network sharing indicated good connection
5. Router reset unsuccessful
6. Disabling Ethernet & wifi adapters and re-enabling unsuccessful
7. Uninstalling& re-installing drivers for the above unsuccessful
8. Ipconfig flushdns/nets hint ip reset/netsh winsock reset unsuccessful
9. Ping to Google good
10. Found we could get in via Bing, but not Yahoo. Via Bing could get into “safe” sites, but not Kaspersky, BleepingComputer, or other anti-virus sites
11. Kaspersky, Combofix, malwarebytes, adwcleaner, rkill, tdsskiller, HitmanPro did not find the cause.
12. Hosts file clean
13. Firewall disable made no difference
14. Safemode with networking same issue.
Time issues meant we decided that it would be best to restore system back to original settings. Which we did, and all is well.
I just report this as clearly this is a virus/rootkit which is so far unknown to all the foregoing.
Happy to respond to any questions.............
Edited by hamluis, 26 May 2017 - 10:28 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.