Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown virus or rootkit

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rob999

Rob999

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:06 AM

Initially the problem was we couldn’t access the internet on Windows 7/64. Synptoms were :

1.       Others on network could

2.       Using primarily Chrome/Aol – both “page cannot be displayed”

3.       Using IE11 or Chrome same result

4.       Network sharing indicated good connection

5.       Router reset unsuccessful

6.       Disabling Ethernet & wifi adapters and re-enabling  unsuccessful

7.       Uninstalling& re-installing drivers for the above unsuccessful

8.       Ipconfig flushdns/nets hint ip reset/netsh winsock reset unsuccessful

9.       Ping to Google good

10.   Found we could get in via Bing, but not Yahoo.  Via Bing could get into “safe” sites, but not Kaspersky, BleepingComputer, or other anti-virus sites

11.   Kaspersky, Combofix, malwarebytes, adwcleaner, rkill, tdsskiller, HitmanPro did not find the cause.

12.   Hosts file clean

13.   Firewall disable made no difference

14.   Safemode with networking same issue.

Time issues  meant we decided that it would be best to restore system back to original settings.  Which we did, and all is well.

I just report this as clearly this is a virus/rootkit which is so far unknown to all the foregoing.

Happy to respond to any questions.............

Edited by hamluis, 26 May 2017 - 10:28 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

Hello, Having run ComboFix Please post that log with an FRST log(in Guide below) in a new topic Do steps from 6 to end.

Repost your above info also.

Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.

Edited by boopme, 26 May 2017 - 12:35 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users