Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the used storage on a new SD card?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bcmo

bcmo

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:37 AM

A new 64GB Micro SD card came with 59.4GB of available storage, knowing how storage drives work that's to be expected.

My question is in the available storage there was 400 and something KB of used storage (that stuck around even after formatting) which I can't figure out what it is since no files show up when exploring the SD card even after enabling the computer hidden and system files setting.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,891 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:20 AM

Well, the file system itself along with its Volume Table of Contents takes up some room even when there's nothing else.    400KB is very little space.  This is strictly a guess as to exactly what this might be, but no empty drive that's been formatted is truly empty.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

See chart at http://www.endmemo.com/data/diskcapacity.php .  59.4GB is on the nose or close enough not to fret..

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 May 2017 - 09:34 AM.

#4 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:10 PM

See chart at http://www.endmemo.com/data/diskcapacity.php .  59.4GB is on the nose or close enough not to fret..

Louis

My question was not about the 59.4GB. My question was about the roughly 400KB of files/data that the card supposedly has but that isn't visible. Is it a normal thing for new SD cards to supposedly have a bit of files/data on them even though the drive is empty when clicked on in Windows Explorer?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:18 AM

If it's not visible...then it's not "file data" but likely the typical amount of space used when any partition is created on any drive..400kb of space is not an unreasonable amount of space to expect for such.  There is no reason to expect such to be visible.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 May 2017 - 09:28 AM.

#6 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:39 PM

But a 16GB USB that I once got didn't have any "partition data" on it at all. The 14.9GB of available storage was totally empty as opposed to this one that had some KB of data in the available storage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users