Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Welcome To Babylon

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 brillo

brillo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:12 PM

Actually, the GUI is about half English. The rest is not Japanese; it looks almost like random keystrokes.
Here is a segment from the "Help" file:

・自動でIndex(再生時、スライダーが使用できる)を付加します。
  Ver1.0.2.0より、DLしたコンテンツに自動でIndexを付加する機\を追加しています。
  過去にDLしたコンテンツにも極力Indeが付加できるように、メニューに”Indexを付
This "Paste" is not the same as the section I just made the "Copy" from. The symbols changed from copy to paste. The original looks much more like a very long UPC product code (series of parallel thin and thick lines) with some English and Greek letters and Japanese symbols like "・" thrown in here and there.
Here's a sample from the "Readme":

・ネットで公開されている`SFストーミングデータ(動画/音声)をローカルPC
  にダウンロードする\フトです。
  最近は、ノーマルコンテンツもダウンロードするようになって来ています。

This also changed between copy and paste. The original has squares, where the paste has the " ". And this is very interesting. Some of the symbols (I assume) you see are slightly different than those I pasted in the post when I composed it a moment ago. So these symbols have actually metamorphosed two more times, just going from my screen to writing/editing the post to displaying the final post on you screen. This is on top of the previous changes I mentioned. That's pretty wierd, you have to admit. Both, technically and the whole gestalt. So, question #1, How do I translate/decipher this... code? And question B, why should I have any confidence that the translation would be even minimally accurate?

I've seen this program work in a simple demonstration. I would use it if it does all it's supposed to do. It's small, efficient, apparently simple to use (if, you know...) and it's in active development. Slightly improved versions come out almost monthly. But, I want to understand at least the basics before letting it loose. This program is from Japan, definitely. It's called GAS, for recording streaming media. There are others in English, like StreamBox VCR, but this one is said to be better, "handles virtually all MS video and audio streaming protocols with ease". I found it at http://www.urltrim.com/ct/t.php?l=77. It has a support forum. The google translator does not do as well with Japanese as it does with some European languages. I can understand some of it (or think I can, which may be more dangerous than if I couldn't read a word). Syntax and sentence structure are so different.

So there's the immediate question. What language/code/heiroglyphics is this stuff, the "Readme" and the "Help" file? And how do I get it accurately translated into English?

But the big question is how do we do this, all of us, communicate to one another around the world? Actually communicate. When I can't even transfer the same symbols (undecipherable to me in both cases) between copy and paste on my own screen?.

I emailed a fellow in Germany the other day. His programs and support are entirely in German. I sent the note in German. I wrote it in English, put it through Babelfish, English -> German, pasted the result in the email and felt pretty accomplished. But today, I haven't heard back, so I reversed the process. I copied the German from my email, put it through Babelfish, German -> English, to see what it said. I could hardly read it! My own note! The Fellow probably thinks I'm nuts, and I'll never hear back from him.

Gee, do you think this question has ever come up before, or I am I the first to ask it? How are we going to do this, fellow Babylonians?
Rob

Edited by brillo, 08 September 2006 - 03:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:12 PM

How do we communicate now? We use translators for that and for this we use language packs and that is how we translate computer style.

#3 brillo

brillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:54 PM

In the past, I've received some brilliant responses from Bleeping to my XP related questions, and I've expressed my appreciation accordingly with words and Paypal donations.

I've also received some responses that were dead wrong; based on assumptions the Bleeping expert made that were clearly ruled out by the information I provided in my initial post. Either that or the Bleeping expert simply failed to read more than the first few words of my post before responding, e.g., several months ago, ThorXP responded very tersely that I should delete a DX9 EURT Update that downloaded but failed to completely install. I had already quoted a MS KB that stated DX9 EURTs can't be deleted. I didn't hear back from ThorXP on that question. However, I did receive a clear and cogent answer from another forum. This experience has occurred on a number of occasions.

I have also received a direct answer that solved my language translation question today. But, again, I received it from a different forum.

What I received here today from ThorXP was neither clear nor cogent. It was flippant.

I do appreciate the great answers Bleeping has provided in the past, but enough is enough, I'm done here.

Rob

Edited by brillo, 08 September 2006 - 08:50 PM.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:25 PM

Well this makes me very sorry to hear. I happen to agree that if you do not know the answer to a question then why make a jackass out of yourself making a stupid comment. Nothing makes me more annoyed than to see a member's question disregarded or answered with a flippant response. Personally, I would rather see a question go unanswered rather than give bad or inappropriate responses. These types of responses will not continue to be given by this individual if he wishes to remain on this site.

With all that said I hope you stay because second to seeing bad responses, I hate to see people leave the site. The fact is that this is all voluntary and people are devoting their time to help others like yourself. Sometimes the information is right sometimes it is wrong...it should never be flippant though.

Back to your original problem. I know that you received help, but as you did not post what the answer was I decided to do some research on the problem as I did not know the answer.

What I have learned is that by default US (maybe others) Windows does not provide support for the eastern languages. So first we must enable that support. These instructions are for XP and you will need the XP cd to install files.
  • Click on the Start Menu and then select Control panel.

• Double-click on Regional and Language options icon.

• Click on the Languages tab

• Put a checkmark in the field labeled Install files for East Asian languages.

• Press the Apply button and Windows will prompt you to start copying files. Let it do so and reboot when it asks.

• When the computer has restarted go back into the Regional and Language options control panel.

• Click on the Advanced button and change the first drop down box to Japanese. When it prompts you to reboot, do so, and now you should be able to see the japanese characters in the text files and the help file.
Now if we dont do this and open the text files or help files we will get that bar codish stuff that you refer to. That does not mean that the right characters are not in the file, it is just the OS does not know how to convert it. If you want to be able to translate the text files without doing all of the above you can upload the file to web site and then use Google's language tools to translate the text file directly like this:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...Flanguage_tools

As for understanding the translated language...well thats always a problem with translations. Not sure what can be done for that.

Hope this helps somewhat and if you had different answers I would love to hear them.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:22 AM

I'd be interested in knowing what the answer is too. I work with many people from Korea, China and elsewhere, and we have run into translation issues when opening a file that created on the computer that uses Korean, Chinese etc. on a U.S. windows computer, even if the document was written in English. Sometimes it seems to be a problem translating the program coding, and a document doesn't look right - the spacing will be off for example.

At least some Korean e-mail programs don't show up correctly in U.S. windows either. My student was very frustrated as she needed to read her e-mail, and the page wouldn't show up correctly in either Korean or English. :thumbsup: I think what I did in this case was to guide her through the unintelligible - to either of us - navigation links because of my familiarity with page layout, and then she was able to find and open her mail. Fortunately the message itself wasn't mangled.

It might be that your solution will work for us as well and save us some headaches.

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users