Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Huge problem with external hard drive, please help get my data back !!

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 CampNowhere

CampNowhere

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:01 AM

Long story short, all of a sudden my win 10 laptop gave me a blue screen while my 12 TB Western Digital My Book Duo was attached. Nothing would fix it so I reinstalled the OS and my computer worked fine. Then I plugged my hard drive back in and my computer instantly gave me another blue screen! So I reinstalled my OS again but didn't connect my HD again.

I have an enclosure that you can hook up hard drives to and connect it to you pc with a USB cord. So I pulled out 1 of the drive in my Duo to see if it would show up without giving my pc a blue screen. When I hooked up the drive it asked me to set the partition as either mbr or gpt. I couldn't remember which one to select it to so I choose mbr, I then realized that it should've been gpt so I went into windows disk management and changed it..........

Now it looks as if everything on my drive is gone!!! Nothing shows up at all. Is everything really gone or is there a way I can save my data?!?

Edited by hamluis, 26 May 2017 - 09:12 AM.
Moved from External Hardware to Disk Management - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

The first thing I would do is put the drive back into the enclosure. WD uses proprietary bridge cards and even if the drive is perfect you cannot access the data outside of the enclosure. 

https://community.wd.com/t/wd-my-book-duo-data-forever-lost-if-drive-enclosure-dies/6496

#3 CampNowhere

CampNowhere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:17 AM

Ok I will try that, since it is propriety does that mean windows may not have even done anything to the hd since it cannot be read without the enclosure?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:25 AM

The problem is when you went converted from gpt to mbr then back to gpt. 

I would see if a bootable live linux disk can now see this drive. Attach it after booting to the linux desktop. If linux does not see the drive then download Testdisk for Windows. Do not download the 64bit version. Run the Quick Search and see if detects your partitions.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Do not write anything in Testdisk. Only see if the partitions are detected and you can see your files.

#5 CampNowhere

CampNowhere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:35 AM

I've got a data recovery program running to see if it can recover my files. It sees my drive but shows as something like \?\?, but I was using another external enclosure, I haven't tried the wd enclosure yet because whenever I plug my wd drive it my pc blue screens and I have to reinstall windows

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:06 AM

I highly doubt you will find anything if the drives are not in the original enclosure. You can run testdisk from a linux live disk called UBCD. Burn the iso to a CD/DVD or use Rufus to create a bootable usb flash drive. You may need to disable SecureBoot if you have it in UEFI settings and also enable Legacy/CSM boot before the you can boot UBCD. At the main menu select Parted Magic.

If you are lucky Parted Magic may be able to mount the drive. See this guide.

If you cannot mount the external in Parted Magic open a terminal and type testdisk in lowercase. This will open testdisk and allow you to scan the drive outside of Windows.

#7 CampNowhere

CampNowhere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:52 AM

I wasn't confident I'd find anything since it wasn't in the original enclosure.

I will try this in a few hours and let you know what I find

Thanks for all the help, hopefully I didn't lose everything

Edited by CampNowhere, 26 May 2017 - 10:55 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:07 AM

My only concern is changing from mbr back to gpt. I am not sure if that messed with the partition table but hopefully Testdisk on UBCD would be able to see your partitions and recover the files if Parted Magic cannot mount the drive.

#9 CampNowhere

CampNowhere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:16 AM

I can understand that, what confuses me is if the drive can't do anything unless it is mounted inside the wd enclosure, how is windows able to alter the drive?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

Good Question. I don't know how that would be possible. Is this WD enclosure with two drives a RAID? It sounds like you have two 6TB drives using RAID 0.

#11 CampNowhere

CampNowhere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:59 PM

No they are 2 6tb drives formatted to ntfs

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:07 PM

If the computer saw this external as one 12TB hard drive then it would be RAID0. If the computer saw the drive as two separate drives then there is no RAID. It would be JBOD. (Just a bunch of drives)

RAID 0 allows the spanning of multiple drives to look like one large drive.

https://www.wdc.com/products/external-storage/my-book-duo.html

The My Book Duo drive ships in RAID 0 for maximum performance and capacity. Customize with RAID 1 for ultimate data protection or JBOD to use the drives individually.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 May 2017 - 02:07 PM.

#13 CampNowhere

CampNowhere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:06 PM

It was configured as jbod when first started using the drives

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

Okay, thanks for the info. That I believe will make it easier for Testdisk if Parted Magic cannot mount the disk.

#15 CampNowhere

CampNowhere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:22 PM

I briefly used testdisk and I did see my drive when I used the alternative enclosure, but I didn't notice that any partitions were found. Now since I changed from mbr to gpt will testdisk be able to find my original partitions from when the drive was working?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users