Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Travelmate 3212nwxmi - Urgent Ram Upgradation...!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sunandoghosh

sunandoghosh

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:04 PM

TravelMate 3212NWXMi - Urgent RAM Upgradation...!!!

Respected nerds, techs, geeks and dear fellow members,

After months and years of waiting and speculation; I (poor soul who managed to purchase laptop first time in life) purchased one laptop few months back - TravelMate 3212NWXMi -

Presently by default the laptop came with -

1. 60 GB Hard Disk
2. 256 MB DDR II

Now I am finding that both of the above is posing as a terrible constraint in my use of laptop.

The laptop is terribly slowly and I find it very diffcult to use in reading word documents; PDFs etc...

I want to upgrade RAM as Maximum as possible...

From my preliminary analysis; what appears to me is that there may be two slots and maximum each slot can take 1 GB each...(I may be wrong)...

Few Questions in context of RAM Upgradation:

1. Is it wise to go for 1 GB each slot so that laptop is having 2 GB RAM...????

2. Does RAM of 2 GB will really boost speed of laptop like desktop...????

3. Which company (like transcend; hynix; zion etc etc; I am not sure) should i purchase these two RAM 1 GB each chip...????

4. Is there any compatibility issue of RAM with acer laptop model 3212NWXMi - I mean does it have to be of any particular specification....??? OR any RAM from any company would do...??? (This is MOST MOST IMPORTANT query...plz answer in detail).???

5. Does DDR (DDR 1) and DDR 11 really vary significantly in speed...???

Any help / advice / suggestion is more than welcome....Plz reply to my above questions...!!!!!

Best regards

Sunando Ghosh
Kolkata India

sunandoghosh at gmail dot com

Most Most IMP Question:

Is there any compatibility issue of RAM with acer laptop model 3212NWXMi - I mean does it have to be of any particular specification....??? OR any RAM from any company would do...??? (This is MOST MOST IMPORTANT query...plz answer in detail).???

I know certainly that I have asked too too many questions but then I most humbly rqeuest to plz plz come forward and give ur valuable / advice / opinion as I WILL BE BASING MY ENTIRE DECISION BASED ON REPLIED HERE....

Thanks for taking time to read this long post and possibly taking time to reply and sharing ur valuable wisdom...its truly appreciated....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sunandoghosh

sunandoghosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:37 AM

plz reply....

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:12 AM

Is there any compatibility issue of RAM with acer laptop model 3212NWXMi - I mean does it have to be of any particular specification....??? OR any RAM from any company would do...??? (This is MOST MOST IMPORTANT query...plz answer in detail).???

Hi sunandoghosh.
The 3212NWXMi uses the exact same memory specs as the 3210.
Unbuffered, non ECC, 1.8V, DDR2 533 (PC2-4200) 200 pin SODIMM.
Here is a 2GB kit compatable with your notebook from crucial.

#4 sunandoghosh

sunandoghosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:39 AM

Hi Thanks a lot for your valuable reply....

Thanks for ur advice....really thanks...

I really dont know how fast is 533MHz but was just wondering whether Laptop Acer 3212 (3210 series) is also capable of having higher speed RAM (more than 533 MHZ) and are DDR 2 RAM with speeds more than 533 MHz available in market....

I am attaching two screenshots.....

1. The RAM Test shown by website http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

Posted Image

2. User Manual of Acer laptop 3210 extract for RAM...

Posted Image

Plz be kind to clarify once again my queries....

Thanks always

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:38 PM

The Acer page shows it supports dual channel so both sticks of ram must be matching to take advantage of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users