Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINDOWS 7 auto update ? NEAT SCANNER now does not launch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tunedport64

Tunedport64

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:35 PM

I searched to see if anyone had any issue after the series of Windows update last week and the week before. I woke up to my system having been auto restarted and looking for the sign on password. When I signed in the system made me wait while it finished the install then it launched perfectly as usual....so I thought...My PC is clean as the wind driven snow..really...never an issue. Run 2x daily back ups...EMSISOFT Internet Security in the background and 2x daily full scan..and SUPERAntispyware with update defs everyday as ell. Block a fair amount of things on GMAIL manually but never an issue. (I only go where I am supposed to be..that is the trick by the way) So, when I went to launch the NEAT receipt scanner that I have used for about 10 years now it would start then a window would pop up right in the middle of it booting..it said there was a conflict with another program basically. I noticed that Windows had auto started Windows Defender...I shut it down..it did not lauch again.. I shut down and disabled my back up software...Macrium Reflect...it did not work. I uninstalled Macrium ...it did not work..reinstalled Macrium..still a no go...I did that with EMSISOFT as well...and I did a uninstall and reinstall of NEAT itself...still a no go...so now what???NEAT will launch in administrator mode...but it will not grab the data file so it is rather useless..unless someone know how to help me get it to read the data file...but I am at a loss...what makes it even worse is NEAT has stopped support for the product becasue now they only sell internet based services...hmmmm??? I do not use (CLOUD) internet based services..I want the good old hard copy...anybody got any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:26 PM

My leading suspicion would be that something in the Windows update "broke" the NEAT scanner software's compatibility with that version of Windows 7. It certainly happens quite frequently with Windows updates...typically more when you do major version upgrades (i.e. going from say Windows XP to Windows 7) rather than typical security or other bug updates, but it can also happen with minor updates. If that is the case, since it seems the NEAT software you are using is no longer supported, you might be outta luck.

If that is the case, the one work around could be to either run an old computer with an older OS strictly for use with the scanning software (and otherwise keep that computer offline) or maybe run an older version of Windows in a VM to use with the software.

As to whether or not that is really the case, your best bet to figure that out would be to get doing Internet searches to see if you can find other people who have encountered the same issue. The other option is to try to uninstall the Windows updates that were recently installed and see if that will allow the NEAT software to work. If it does, then you will have to decide if the continued use of the NEAT software on this computer is worth going without that update(s). You could then try installing each update one by one until the NEAT software stopping working, thus narrowing down which update broke it.

#3 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:52 PM

http://www.neat.com/helpcenter/scanner-problems-in-neat/

#4 Tunedport64

Tunedport64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:02 AM

appreciate the responses...I do plan on running the NEAT app on another PC. I do not want to mess with my updates at all with Windows becasue I am under the impression that keeping things up- to date is the major arsinal used to stop issues with computing..right? I do however want to learn...to determine what it is that happened so II can have that knowledge to someday either share or use again. It s why I have joined this site so once I feel comfortable with my back ups I will uninstall the updates and or possible revert back to the lsat date the scanner was used and apply that restore point. How is it that the data file is viewable but the contents are not there when in the administration mode? How do I make it readable in the administration mode? Thanks Aaron for the link...I new this already though...and the information there is rather sparse to say the least...ohh...they are saying the least because they want to you update to their online services. The interent is filled with people who have similar issues...many are solved with uninstalls and re installs...and by doing what I have already done...mine issue is just a bit more...issuieee...and so it goes.

#5 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:01 PM

appreciate the responses...I do plan on running the NEAT app on another PC. I do not want to mess with my updates at all with Windows becasue I am under the impression that keeping things up- to date is the major arsinal used to stop issues with computing..right? who have similar issues...many are solved with uninstalls and re installs...and by doing what I have already done...mine issue is just a bit more...issuieee...and so it goes.

Yes exactly right.  There is a general, prioritized list that create the composite of a security solution on all computers (AV software, firewall, etc...) and keeping the O/S updated is the #1 priority, so much so that everything else is "Tier 2" in comparison.  Stated for effect, if it's a choice between having fully-updated windows and no firewall and no AV software, or having AV software and a firewall, but an O/S that hasn't been updated for a year, you are safer with the fully-updated Windows, and no AV software and no firewall.

The reason has to do with the "threat profile" of malware.  It all has a life-expectancy.  The older it is, the longer it's been around, the more likely all the various entities (AV software companies, security firms, etc...) have identified it and defended against it.  The new malware is the most dangerous. Old malware is less dangerous.

The new malware frequently takes advantage of newly-discovered exploits, aka "security holes".  One purpose for updating Windows is to patch those holes.  New malware takes advantage of those holes, infects computers that have AV software that hasn't identified the threat yet.  Windows Update is the fastest and most-efficient way of protecting your computer from these newly-released threats.

I just threw this together.  I'm sure there are better written articles available that say the same thing, only better.  Coffee just kicked in, and muh fingers are ENERGETIC atm... lol...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users