Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what virus causes windows copy and paste to change the file header

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nagawolf

nagawolf

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:14 PM

I think I caught some sort of virus from a client when I transferred his wedding pictures to his laptop with my sd card. When I put the sd card in my pc to backup the original pictures they transfer but we're unreadable and slightly larger so I opened both files in note pad and on the copy the header has added spaces in the code. If it sit for hours I can restore the header and the picture is fine. This is not practical. Another work around is to transfer the pictures in safe mode. The real challenge I have is no Antivirus can detect a single problem. The site I think he got it form is convert to mp3 . Com because he was telling me how great it is at converting youtube videos. Does anyone know anything about this and how to fix it

Edited by hamluis, 25 May 2017 - 08:30 PM.
Moved from MRL to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:49 PM

I think I caught some sort of virus from a client when I transferred his wedding pictures to his laptop with my sd card. When I put the sd card in my pc to backup the original pictures they transfer but we're unreadable and slightly larger so I opened both files in note pad and on the copy the header has added spaces in the code. If it sit for hours I can restore the header and the picture is fine. This is not practical. Another work around is to transfer the pictures in safe mode. The real challenge I have is no Antivirus can detect a single problem. The site I think he got it form is convert to mp3 . Com because he was telling me how great it is at converting youtube videos. Does anyone know anything about this and how to fix it

What operating system, etc... This sounds like a Macro virus from Microsoft word from 10 years ago.  "Jennifer" I think it was called.  If you let it sit long enough. all the backgrounds of your files would turn black so you couldn't read the font.

#3 nagawolf

nagawolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:18 AM

I am running windows 10 the machine it came from was running 8.1

#4 nagawolf

nagawolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:29 AM

How would I check to see if it is Jennifer

#5 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:55 PM

How would I check to see if it is Jennifer

Install malwarebytes and run a full scan.

#6 nagawolf

nagawolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

Thanks it found nothing. Is there anything I can use to reset windows read write protocols. Like I sead when I transfer the target files in safe mode the headers are unaffected. To header corruption only happens when windows is in normal mode

#7 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

Thanks it found nothing. Is there anything I can use to reset windows read write protocols. Like I sead when I transfer the target files in safe mode the headers are unaffected. To header corruption only happens when windows is in normal mode

Let me see if I get this.

You are starting with image files (jpg?  png?  both?  something else?  All the same?  Mixed?) that came from a client? who got them after converting them at an online conversion website.

You can see the files fine in Win7, and you can see them fine in Win10, Safe Mode, but in Win10 Normal Mode there is a problem (what is it?) and you've noticed that after the transfer from Win7 to Win10, there are added spaces in the header information (you looked at them using notepad), and you think the added spaces in Win10 is unusual and bad, and that this is the cause of the display problems in Win10 Normal Mode.

What if you transfer the image(s) with the extra spaces back to Win7.  Do the images (with the extra spaces) display normally in Win7? If yes, then I'd wonder if the problem isn't with the Win10 "App" that does the displaying.  What if you tried a different software/app in Win10.  Same results?

#8 nagawolf

nagawolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

No the downloaded don't but my original files that never were transferred do in safe mode not in any Windows os. Also I took the damaged downloaded files to a lynix machine and it was able to read them with no problems

#9 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:07 PM

No the downloaded don't but my original files that never were transferred do in safe mode not in any Windows os. Also I took the damaged downloaded files to a lynix machine and it was able to read them with no problems

We're going to need more effort and participation from you.  I put effort into figuring out what your problems are for a reason and I took the time to post the synopsis for a reason.  This quote above is also vague and raises more questions then it answers.  If I, and others, don't understand exactly what the problem is, then no one can help you and you are wasting your time.  More effort at clarity and communication, please.

But in general I challenge the idea that the "extra spaces" in the header information is bad, wrong and the cause of any problems.  That might be normal, or even if it's not then it might not affect how software displays the images.  I know you think that, but you could be wrong.  You could be right.  But you could be wrong.  The thing to do is prove it one way or the other.

Also I challenge the idea that "malware" adds spaces.  It could be just a normal result of being read by a software operating in Win10 vs. Win7.

I asked questions about file types.  Are they all the same or are they different. Do files that were not converted work normal in all operating systems?  How do we know that the Win10 machine isn't infected, but the files are just fine, meaning maybe it's the image software that's the problem.  Also how many image files are we talking about here?  10?  100?  1,000?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users