Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help finding correct driver for setting up a TV as second monitor w/ iGPU

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WhiteMarauder

WhiteMarauder

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:37 PM

So I've been having a problem with this all day long.  Seemingly a problem that would be easy to fix has been causing me a headache for the past couple of hours.

What I want to do:

I would like to start using my small television as a second monitor.  Available to connect my television are HDMI cables only.  I would like to avoid trying having to buy new cables/wires for this process if I can help it as well.

What I've done:

Problem is I have an Asus mobo which doesn't allow me to simply flip a switch and start using the second on iGPU.  I need something called Lucid Logix MVP.  Which needs a specific driver in order to properly work.  

I have the following specs:

-I've hooked up my HDMI cord from the TV to the mobo.
-I've went into BIOS to Enable iGPU, here is the exact setting:  
Advanced > System Agent Configuration > Graphics Configuration > iGPU Multi-Monitor > Enabled
-I've installed Lucid Logix MVP

The Issue:
Now the problem I'm having is that, according to the Lucid Logix MVP I need to have some sort of driver, one of the following:
-Intel® HD SandyBridge Graphics
-Intel® HD Ivy Bridge Graphics

And I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for in that regard either...  

Apparently I have "Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology" already under my CPU, so I would assume I would need a Sandy Bridge Driver.  And I've tried installing a few already, but they are all incompatible. 

I feel at this point, that I have no idea what I am doing...  I'm not particularly computer Savvy, so I'm half expecting I'm overlooking something simple or I've done something wrong.

Anyone have any experience with this?  I'd love any advice you guys could give me.  Hopefully I have enough information, but if you need something else feel free to ask.

Edited by WhiteMarauder, 25 May 2017 - 06:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:13 PM

A potentially dumb question...

Have you just tried using one of the other ports on the nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 card? I assume it is a PCI card since you mentioned a Asus mobo thus implying that it is a desktop computer. If so, GTX 1070s tend to typically have more than one port on them and can support more than one screen. Your link to your specs does not specific which EVGA GTX 1070 version you have, so I cannot be sure exactly what ports you might have available to you, but from clicking through the options available on NewEgg, it looks like 1 HDMI, 1 DVI and 3 DisplayPort connections is typical. I suppose if you have not gone that route it could be due to your wanting to avoid buying new cables.

Frankly, the easiest option would be just to use another port on the GTX 1070 for the second screen. This will sap a some of the graphics power if you are doing high intensity graphics applications (i.e. gaming), but you can always just disconnect the second screen when gaming if you want 100% of the graphics power of the GTX 1070 dedicated to one screen while playing the game. Plus, in my past experience, trying to use integrated graphics along with a dedicated graphics can be a pain.

I realize that this is not what you were specifically asking about, but thought I would ask anyways.

#3 WhiteMarauder

WhiteMarauder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:14 PM

Well I was trying to avoid that because I only have HDMI cables and I thought that I had found a possible alternative.

It turns out that my mobo is simply outdated and not usable for the multi-window thing I was trying.  

So because of that, I'm just going to go and buy a DVI adapter to do this properly.

Thanks for the response though, I appreciate it.  You are right the easiest option is to use a different port.  I just thought I found an easy alternative due to my lack of cables.  

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:09 PM

Being lazy...I probably would have just gone with getting a new cable rather than try to figure out using the integrated graphics (assuming it was a viable option to use the integrated graphics). That is just me... :grinner:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users