Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a program to help me recover my forgotten passwords?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TJBexter

TJBexter

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:20 PM

I'm a very forgetful person, and I have several accounts that I can no longer access due to having forgotten the passwords. These include websites like Wikia, services like Steam, and even games like Wizard 101. Also note that the e-mail accounts they were attached to have since been deleted for reasons, so I can't use the "forgot password" option on any of them. Can someone recommend software that can help me recover my passwords?

UPDATE

I think I figured something out. There's no longer a need to answer this.

Edited by TJBexter, 25 May 2017 - 06:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:27 PM

No.  (and that's not a snarky/nasty no).

Since the whole point of passwords is to limit access, and the usual backup methods used for recovery have now been removed, I know of no way to get these back.  If you were able to contact customer service and somehow prove ownership of accounts they might be able to help you, but that's a very long shot.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

No.  (and that's not a snarky/nasty no).

Since the whole point of passwords is to limit access, and the usual backup methods used for recovery have now been removed, I know of no way to get these back.  If you were able to contact customer service and somehow prove ownership of accounts they might be able to help you, but that's a very long shot.

What he said. I agree that I am not aware of any legal way to recover those passwords since the email account used with the accounts is no longer accessible. As noted, you might try customer service, but you likely are not going to have much luck.

For the future, you might consider either using a password manager program to keep your passwords or even just using the old fashioned piece of paper with passwords on it if you are forgetful person. Personally, I use 1Password as a password manager. I am not necessarily forgetful, but I have enough accounts with different passwords that it is tough to remember them all. The advantage of a password manager program is that you only have to remember one password...the one for your password manager database/account.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:57 PM

I ran into this problem with one account I forgot the password for and unfortunately the email account was deleted.  I was able to create the email account again allowing me to reset the password of the account. 

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

I was able to create the email account again allowing me to reset the password of the account.

This will only work if someone else has not already taken the email/user ID.

And there is also the issue of "wait" periods. Some email providers and/or ISPs will "lock off" the deleted/no longer used ID for a period of time before it can be claimed again. This was certainly the case with Comcast.

When I moved recently, my new house did not have Comcast service. For the most part I had already "moved" all my primary email related accounts and activities to email accounts not tied to Comcast, but I had one Comcast account that was not completely emptied. It would have not be a complete loss to completely loose the old Comcast email account, but I wanted to try an keep it. So, I kept trying to get that old Comcast ID from a Comcast account that my parent's had for a cottage. If memory serves, it took either 6 month or a year before it became available again...and I was then able to claim it again.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:20 AM

Yes, I was lucky as the username was not exactly common. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users