Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Securing iPad Air for family member?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ParanoidPablo

ParanoidPablo

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:13 PM

Hi i have never owned an ipad (or an iphone i prefer android) so i was wondering how do i make my family members ipad secure enough for her to use without having to worry about her technology iq. I updated the software to latest and stuff is there anything else i can do to help out like adding adblockers or something? thanks.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 25 May 2017 - 04:42 PM.
Moved from 'General Security' to 'Apple iOS'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:23 PM

It kind of depends on what you consider secure enough.

iPads and other iOS devices are pretty hard to screw up. iPads (and other iOS devices) are designed pretty well for less technical types (which is why some people don't like them as they much more restrictive in what you can do compared to a Windows or Mac computer or even an Android tablet to some degree). Typically, the worst that can happen is you delete an app or some content. Apps can much more easily be reinstalled than your typical Windows or Mac app (just a matter of re-downloading from the App Store). Data/content is the bigger problem, but just like any computer that aspect can be mitigated by having a backup.

If you are worried about ads, then there are now ad blockers you can use with the built-in Safari browser...I believe. I personally don't use any, so I don't have any recommendations.

There is no antivirus really to install as the iOS system is locked down enough that non-Apple apps (such as an antivirus type program) cannot really access any "deep" layers needed to do anything. This also means that the normal avenue that malware/viruses would take are more or less cut off. Anything that effects an iOS device will be more about exploiting a bug or weakness in iOS, not your traditional infection of a file.

If you are talking about a kid and want to use some sort of parental controls, then there are some built-in that you can use, but they have their limits (like more parental control options).

Beyond that, there is not much to do.

#3 ParanoidPablo

ParanoidPablo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

It kind of depends on what you consider secure enough.

iPads and other iOS devices are pretty hard to screw up. iPads (and other iOS devices) are designed pretty well for less technical types (which is why some people don't like them as they much more restrictive in what you can do compared to a Windows or Mac computer or even an Android tablet to some degree). Typically, the worst that can happen is you delete an app or some content. Apps can much more easily be reinstalled than your typical Windows or Mac app (just a matter of re-downloading from the App Store). Data/content is the bigger problem, but just like any computer that aspect can be mitigated by having a backup.

If you are worried about ads, then there are now ad blockers you can use with the built-in Safari browser...I believe. I personally don't use any, so I don't have any recommendations.

There is no antivirus really to install as the iOS system is locked down enough that non-Apple apps (such as an antivirus type program) cannot really access any "deep" layers needed to do anything. This also means that the normal avenue that malware/viruses would take are more or less cut off. Anything that effects an iOS device will be more about exploiting a bug or weakness in iOS, not your traditional infection of a file.

If you are talking about a kid and want to use some sort of parental controls, then there are some built-in that you can use, but they have their limits (like more parental control options).

Beyond that, there is not much to do.

thanks smax! the info u provided here makes me confident enough to hand over the ipad, thanks for your input :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users