Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mysterious .msi file attempts to open itself since last update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rakou

rakou

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:20 PM

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the right spot to put this, but I'm using Windows 10, and I'm having an issue where I get a windows dialog box reading:

How do you want to open this file?

Keep using this app

Windows Installer

Other Options

(other programs are listed here)

(check box) Always use this app to open .msi files

This dialog box appears at random (without me clicking on anything) at least once a day, and then disappears about 10 seconds later. I noticed it started happening right around the most recent windows 10 update. I haven't yet tried opening the file.

I ran a scan with my anti-virus (TrendMicro) and it's not finding any issues.

Any idea what this might be? Or how to fix it?

Thanks for your kind help in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:34 PM

.MSI files are Windows installer files, for more information - and as good a simple explanation as I found - see here -

https://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/understanding-difference-between-exe-and-msi

I don't know why you are getting this pop-up. Do you have any software from MS that you have downloaded but not installed yet ?  If you have, to put your mind at rest, scan the file with your AV before you do anything else. If you can find such a file using Windows Explorer - look in your Downloads section - RIGHT click on the file's name and select 'Scan with . . (your AV)' in the pop-up dialogue that appears. If it comes up clean it is safe to install it.

Then select 'Windows installer' in this pop-up that you are getting every so often, that's the application to run MSI type installers.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 rakou

rakou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for your reply. I don't think I have downloaded any software from MS recently, or any software in general. I can only imagine this file is an automatic update for something maybe? I'll try letting it open and see what I get. I just wish windows would tell me what the file is or what's trying to open it.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:10 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please do the following to post all of you programs installed on this computer.

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key to open the Run box.

When the Run box opens copy and paste shell:appsfolders, then click/tap on OK.

Copy and paste the results in your topic.

Edited by dc3, 27 May 2017 - 08:16 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 rakou

rakou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:39 PM

Hello, thanks for your reply. Here is the Speccy profile http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KfsHA8yKglbA5wR4oWrAvS6 As for my PSU, I think it's a 750 watt from Corsair, not sure of the exact model The "shell:appsfolders" command isn't working, did you mean "shell:appsfolder"? (sorry to hear about your shoulder, get well soon!)

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:29 AM

I apologize for the late response.

Yes, typing on drugs turns this into creative writing.  It should be shell:appsfolder.  You will need to create images of the applications using either the snipping tool or make screenshots.

The instructions for doing a screenshot may not be needed for you, but the information on post a image as an attachment is useful.

How to make a screenshot and post it in your topic

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot.

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 rakou

rakou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:17 PM

Okay, here's my applications.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users