Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3 Minute delay at boot before Windows 10 starts

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RAPHelp

RAPHelp

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:05 PM

Have a Dell Inspiron 3847 running Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) and when I boot from Power On,, the Dell logo is displayed for 3 to 4 minutes before Windows starts(i.e. when the blue window logo displays). After that, Windows starts correctly..

I'm tempted to say that it's a hardware problem – EXCEPT – it doesn't happen when I do a RESTART… only when the computer is  powered on (i.e. after a SHUTDOWN – most often from the day before, but really anytime).

I tried  turning off the Fast Startup but no joy!

Problem started  when I  was installing a new router (but computer was turned off before starting the install –  and was  turned  back on before the hardware was actually  connected).

Does anyone  know what Windows does  before  displaying the blue windows logo?

As I said, Windows completes the boot successfully – in the same amount of time as previously – and subsequent  executions are correct.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unopie

unopie

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:48 PM

I just saw this same problem not too long ago. Do you have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed? The mbam service made him have 10 minute long shutdowns or something longer.

Edited by unopie, 25 May 2017 - 02:48 PM.

#3 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:06 PM

I do have  Malware Anti-malware installed  – I'll try  removing… what I don't understand is why this is happening now – I've had MBAM installed for several years without a problem.

#4 unopie

unopie

• 277 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:30 PM

It is supposedly the mbam service.

#5 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:32 PM

Removed MBAM - SHUTDOWN - rebooted  and as expected still delayed three minutes before Windows started.

Removed MBAM - SHUTDOWN - rebooted  and as expected still delayed three minutes before Windows started.

#6 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:35 PM

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:07 PM

What happens if you do a clean boot?

https://www.winhelp.us/clean-boot-windows.html

#8 unopie

unopie

• 277 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:11 PM

I was actually looking for the correct term to describe that. Yes, attempt a clean boot and follow the instructions on the website you provided.

How long has this problem affected you?

Did it happen after any sort of update, installation?

Edited by unopie, 25 May 2017 - 06:11 PM.

#9 unopie

unopie

• 277 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

I was also to suggest the boot into safe mode, but I thought it would be irrelevant since it was only when you shutdown and then booted up. 

I would attempt a safe mode boot as well. Here are instructions:

Boot into Safe Mode

I suggest you read over the instructions on how to boot into Safe Mode and then print these instructions out or save them in Notepad because you won't have access to this page while in Safe Mode.

Start in Safe Mode Using the F8 method:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the boot menu appears.
  • Use your arrow keys to navigate and highlight Safe Mode.
  • Hit Enter.
  • You will now be asked to choose your operating system. Again, use the arrow keys to select >>Enter Operating System Here<<.
  • Hit Enter.

Your computer will proceed to booting into Safe Mode. During the boot process, you may see random code go past your screen. Simply wait for it to pass. Your computer should boot like usually, except with Safe Mode written in the corners of your screen. Your screen may also appear to be a different size because the video drivers are not loaded properly in Safe Mode.

After the boot, you will be asked whether you wish to use system restore, or to continue to Safe Mode. Select OK to choose Safe mode.

Additional instructions on booting into Safe Mode can be found here

#10 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:15 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. It you realize that I am using Windows 10  – it does have a SAFEMODE, but the process to get into it is completely different for Windows 10.

I did a search for SAFEMODE in Windows 10 and the comment was:

"If you've used Windows 10 for a while, you might have noticed that the "old ways" of booting into Safe Mode no longer work. By that, we mean trying things like pressing the F8 or Shift + F8 keys on your keyboard while booting."(at http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users