Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Everything Disappeared!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ry12

ry12

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:20 PM

Hi, 

I have Windows 8.1 64bit and I have a 1 Terabyte storage. (This computer is mainly used for gaming)

Now I have two partitions... one of them I store games only D:/

What happened is that I was installing new games onto it, two to be exact. 

While installing one of them I went on D:/ to check something but there was nothing! Just the game that was installing. I thought it was a temporary thing but when I restarted they were gone, everything was gone. The shortcuts on the desktop didn't work.

I checked on Add/Remove Programs but the games were there, however without their icon and without the size, Now I'm ''repairing'' everything and they're coming back. Probably lost my save files and all, this is really depressing.

How did these just vanished? No trace, I mean GTA V alone is 60GB and I saw nothing being deleted. 

What could be the reason behind this?

Help would be truly appreciated!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

I'm assuming you did a Restart before you tried any recovery steps?  That disappearance happens to me from time to time on a certain drive or directory, and often a Restart, or the closing of any/all explorer sessions (along with the reopening of just one explorer session), will fix the disappearance problem.

Edited by RolandJS, 25 May 2017 - 12:37 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

Yes I restarted the pc, should I try shut down?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:53 PM

Yes I restarted the pc, should I try shut down?

Because Windows writes and writes and writes, I'd rather you usb or dvd boot any backup/restore/clone program or a Puppy Linux; and the built-in file manager to see if the data folders and files appear.  I'm thinking, here, a little bit like a data recovery person who assumes the worst about a HD until proven otherwise.  I'm hoping you can either clone or full image this problematic HD onto an external HD, or, at the least, copy your data folders and files (from within Puppy Linux) onto an external HD.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#5 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:00 PM

I forgot to mention that the partition was almost empty (minus the games I was downloading) that's why I absolutely think they were deleted. I will try what you shared

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:16 AM

Usually files which disappear they are moved to another file location.

Try this...

1. Open This PC and locate your hard drive.

2. Right click it and choose Properties.

3. Go to Tools tab and click Check Now button. Your hard drive will be scanned for errors. After the scan is completed, hidden files and folders should be restored.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users