Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need all the standoffs in the motherboard screwed?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ExFact007

ExFact007

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

I have an old PC with a Intel G31 motherboard. When I checked opened the side panel  today I saw only four standoffs were installed.

The motherboard has six standoff holes in it. Only the first two on the left and middle two were connected, two standoffs on the right weren't installed.  

However the space between middle ones and the missing ones are short and it is not enough for motherboard to bend and touch the back panel.   Will it be okay if I leave it like that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:16 AM

The precise answer is "Possibly". The other things to consider are vibration and whether there is likely to be any board flexing by attaching/detaching cables to/from the board or inserting/removing option cards (the latter probably not an issue if I've read the location of the missing standoffs correctly) .

Then the the risk of damage to the system during the procedure to fix the missing standoffs (such as scratching the PCB tracks in the case on existing standoffs

Vibration could come from a cpu with a fan, or a cpu with large heavy heatsink. Vibration could cause a fatigue failure of a soldered joint over a long period of time.

To be honest unless you think there is significant risk based on the possible issues I've hypothesised in the context of tour system and how you use it, I'd leave it alone.

There are also other possible things that could be done such as sliding a small self-adhesive rubber foot under the unsupported end of the board to add some support - if you can get it under there without having to remove the board.

Other issues with standoffs are that sometimes they are omitted as the case holes do not line up well enough, or that too many get fitted to the case, some in the wrong holes, and they short on the back of the motherboard. I've seen experienced techs get that one wrong by not paying attention (many years ago one of my roles in a past life included doing QC on outgoing custom built PCs for a system builder company). 

x64

Edited by x64, 25 May 2017 - 11:39 AM.

#3 ExFact007

ExFact007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:28 AM

Actually I checked it and holes for the standoffs doesn't line up well enough with the motherboard holes. There aren't any expansion cards attached to that side to apply any pressure on it. There are SATA and front USB and Sound cables in that side, but I think I will be fine and I just have to be little careful when messing with the cables. I'm gonna leave it alone as it is.

Edited by hamluis, 25 May 2017 - 12:30 PM.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,852 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

Sounds like a retrofit unit that had a bad MOBO and the replacement didn't fit exactly.  There are some insulating foam blocks or even plastic blocks that can be placed underneath those areas that need support.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:16 AM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 ExFact007

ExFact007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:45 AM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That's actually very good advice. lol  

I tell this to myself every time I'm working with computers. You won't believe how many times I ran into more problems trying to make sure everything is okay even if it is working alright.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:40 PM

Yeah if it seems that the motherboard is in place using only 4 screws then it's fine I've actually done similar things myself with my own builds at least when I first get them together to ensure that the parts work.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users