Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible to skip win 8 updates and install 8.1?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 myym

myym

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:43 AM

Hi,

I have made a fresh install on our laptop running win 8, and I was wondering if it is possible to only download and install the version 8.1 without going through installing all the updates related to version 8.

Is it possible? or do I need to install the version 8 updates first and wait until it notices to install 8.1?

Thanks in advance 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:04 AM

If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 the key is embedded in the MSDM firmware table. This can be recovered using FirmwareTablesView but you can install Windows 8.1 to a clean drive without first installing Windows 8. But, because you have already installed Windows 8 I do believe you can upgrade to 8.1 through the store without first updating 8.

If you find Windows 8 needs to be updated first I would stop and download the 8.1 Media Creation Tool. Do a clean install per this guide.

You can use the key found by FirmwareTablesView if required but you should only need to click next when the install asks for a key and once online 8.1 will auto-activate.

#3 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:14 AM

Yes the computer was preinstalled with win 8 and I used the same files for installation. So far I have received a huge update about 1.7 gb but haven't installed them, but I believe there are more updates from my previous experience before the store notices 8.1 is available. I want to save the time with updating version 8 first and go to 8.1 as this one has its own updates too.

Edited by myym, 25 May 2017 - 08:15 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

If you want to save time then go directly to 8.1 using the Media Creation Tool to create a DVD or USB flash drive of 8.1. The drawback to this is you may have to install additional drivers from your OEMs website as the install media created using the Media Creation Tool is not OEM specific. On the plus side the install media does not have all the bloat sofware OEMs usually install on their computers. If you decide to go directly to 8.1 make sure you have all your license keys for any purchased software including Office and backup all your personal data including any browser bookmarks and email if using a email client vs Web mail.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:29 AM

If the computer is from a big brand like HP, Dell, etc. the key is on the BIOS/UEFI and you don't need to know the key simply skip the prompt, Windows will auto activate when get access to the internet.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

Thanks for your advices I'll try them

#7 Guest_philbo_*

Guest_philbo_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:17 PM

I did this just recently after buying a used laptop with W8 pre-installed.
I wiped the drive and did a clean install of 8.1, which activated with no problems.

I didn't run updates because I was just testing the activation.
When you do, and if you find the system just keeps checking for updates, you might need to manually install KB3021910 and KB3172614 to get things started.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users