Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To See Who's Been Trying To Access Your Network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheGreatBrit

TheGreatBrit

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:38 AM

This is a very long story, so I'm going to try to sum it up. Basically my dad got this warning on his computer saying that his computer was in danger, and to call the number immediately. Most of us wouldn't call, but he did. Now he won't believe me that is was probably a scam. The person he talked to is from a company called Techelite Technologies. My dad gave them remote access to the computer and the person apparently showed him the hundreds of people who have attempted access to his computer. He did not ask my dad for the router information or download a program to show this? How can this be done? Is it possible to see this? Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:25 AM

These are scammers. They will show you existing information, like errors in the Windows event logs, and misrepresent that information to you. They will tell you that these errors mean that your machine is infected or hacked, knowing that they are lying.

If you're father gave remote access to his computer, then they probably had him download and execute a program. That is not good, you can not trust them neither the software they use. You should scan the computer.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:44 AM

I fully agree that your dad should never have given someone he did not know remote access to his computer.  According to this company's website, they will at least have downloaded software to his computer giving them full access to it, which includes the ability to download and install additional software without his permission.  There is no telling what type of additional software they might download, or how harmful it could possibly be.

In addition, according to their website, they will likely have signed your father up to a payment contract:  

As far as the company's claim that numerous people have tried to gain access to his computer, that is probably just a scam.  However, even if true, people trying to gain access means they have NOT yet gotten access.  Unfortunately, they apparently panicked your father into doing exactly what they claim to be helping him avoid, which is to give some stranger (them) authorized access to his computer.

My recommendation in this situation is to advise that he immediately contact this company to cancel whatever agreement he has made with them, and request a refund if any payment commitments had been made,  He should then attempt to remove/uninstall whatever software the company installed on his computer (I would not trust them to uninstall it), then run full antivirus and antimalware scans on his computer.  There may be some additional steps needed to ensure whatever this company installed on his computer gets completely removed, but I will let others more skilled than me advise you about that.

Best wishes.

Edited by Torvald, 25 May 2017 - 07:45 AM.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users