Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switch to control 2 pc's from one monitor?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:13 AM

Hey guys, I need a switch to hook up 2 pc towers to one monitor so I can switch between towers, any referrals please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,611 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:19 AM

You need a KVM switch. This is just an example.

https://www.iogear.com/product/GCS922U/

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:22 AM

Yes thx. I will need one which will work with both vga and DVI?

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:53 AM

But wait, I would then need to have a kb and mouse connected separately to each of the 2 pc's right?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,611 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:04 AM

No, you can have one keyboard and one mouse for the two towers. That is what KVM stands for. Keyboard, Video, Mouse. 

GCS922U_0.gif

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:36 AM

While you don't need a separate mouse and keyboard for each tower, you will need to boot them sequentially.

Unless you've done the gyrations necessary to make a system boot without a keyboard (and, sometimes mouse) and/or monitor, it expects to find these when it attempts to boot.  So, you'll have to have your switch switched to the specific machine you're booting.  Once they're up and running you can flip-flop the KVM switch between the two to your heart's content.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:44 AM

oh I see, the mouse, kb and monitor is connected to the one side of the switch and the towers are connected to the back of the switch, yes, that will work, thanks! BTW, this is not for every day use, only for whenever I should need to switch between 2 pc's.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,611 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:55 AM

Make sure you get the correct switch. The one I linked to is DVI only. 

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:57 AM

I guess, i can use a vga-dvi adapter with the IOgear switch for pc's which don't have dvi ports, right?

Edited by mystic12, 25 May 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,611 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

Only if you have DVI-I. If the card is DVI-D (Digital) you cannot use a cheap VGA adapter. 

There are plenty of KVMs on Ebay with VGA outputs.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 May 2017 - 11:15 AM.

#11 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:07 PM

You need a KVM switch. This is just an example.

https://www.iogear.com/product/GCS922U/

A KVM switch is the best option if you only want to use one keyboard and mouse along with one monitor with the two computers.

The other option is just use the input switching function on the monitor. This assumes your monitor supports multiple inputs, which most reasonably recent monitors tend to do. The downside of this approach is that you will need to have a keyboard and mouse for each computer (i.e. two keyboards and two mice) or physically unplug the mouse and keyboard from one computer and plug them into the other when you "switch" computers. This is the approach I tend to take, but then I already have the multiple keyboards/mice and don't mind having multiple keyboards/mice sitting around/on my desk.

#12 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:39 PM

If both machines are Windows you can also use Remote Desktop.  What do you want to be able to do on each machine?

While Remote Desktop is great for office type tasks I've never tried to game with it.

#13 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:16 PM

switch between pc's for comparisons or for data transferring or for repairing 2 pc's at the same time.

#14 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

I use Remote Desktop Connection Manager to work on PCs, it is like Remote Desktop on steroids.  The only time I need to physically touch the computer is when I start imaging a machine from the network or make changes in the BIOS.  I can technically do the BIOS changes remotely if I wanted.  I do a lot of PC deployments and never actually log directly into the machine.  All of my work is done with the local administrator account so as to not to create additional profiles on the machine.

For data transfers I pull the drive from the old machine and connect to the new machine with a USB3 to SATA adapter.  Then I Remote Desktop in the new machine and copy the data.  I can move about 90GB in a half hour this way.  Then I put the drive back in the old machine and log into both of them and take screen shots of the old machine and configure the new machine to match.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users