Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Created Account

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:17 PM

Although I have used BleepingComputer to resolve issues in the past I just never got round to creating an account but here I am now.

I'm a long time computer user, my first home computer having CP/M operating system, Yeah I'm really old :)

It's been a long fascinating journey from there and I'm still learning and the one thing I know is the more I learn the more I know how much there is still to learn.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alexi02

alexi02

• Banned Spammer
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:47 PM

Howdy, Silver_Fox! Curious with the year the CP/M operating system started. With the industry evolving so fast, learning never stops.

#3 Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:23 AM

alexi02

Wow, there's a question. I worked for Xerox and bought a Xerox 820-II on an employee purchase plan. It came with dual 8 inch floppies one for the operating system one for software. I had Dbase II and Wordstar if I remember correctly. CP/M had been around since the early '70's.

We had our house broken into when I had had the 820 for a few years and the thieves carried the computer into our garage from the house then left it there for some reason. I was quite disappointed as by then MS/DOS had superseded CP/M and the home computer revolution was on it's way. Insurance would have bought me an IBM PC if they had taken it :)

#4 alexi02

alexi02

• Banned Spammer
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:59 AM

Interesting to hear such history of these systems. The thieves are probably not familiar with that CP/M.

Edited by alexi02, 26 May 2017 - 02:59 AM.

#5 Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

alexi02

:lol: No, they were typical dumb thieves. They had tried my next door neighbour first but when she answered the door they gave some fake story about looking for someone in the neighbourhood. My neighbour though it was somewhat fishy as the name they gave was a local disc jockey and her house the most concealed in our rural subdivision so she got the license plate number (which was a station wagon belonging to the father of one of the kids) When the police picked them up one of them was wearing my inscribed Rolex (a gift, as I couldn't afford something like that) with the inscription all scuffed up with a dremel tool. My Canon T90 which had film in it they had used to take photos of each other which processed nicely and were evidence at the trial. As I said, dumb thieves.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:45 PM

CP/M  what memories.  I remember servicing those Xerox units.  Especially those huge floppies,  had to carry a stack of them to trouble shoot.  PCDOS paved the way and the 8080A was a work horse as a compiler.  I started in high school (60's) by playing with the 4004 chip and programmed with toggle switches.  The compiler was pretty trick, it took WordStar and put it on a single 5 1/4 inch floppy for the IBM PC.  Pretty handy to have a WP on a single disk in the early 80's.  Didn't have my own unit until '95 and it was the IBM PC-AT unit.  I still have it, runs 24/7 with DRDOS 5.0 and runs a home controller suite I originally used a 4004 CPU  when the system was installed in '85.  OLD HANDS UNITE.   Yes, learning everyday, if I didn't find something new each day I'd have to retire.

#7 Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:09 PM

mjd420nova,

I am retired but every day I learn something new.

#8 alexi02

alexi02

• Banned Spammer
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:46 AM

Lucky for you those are just amateur thieves!

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:31 PM

All thieves that the general public know about are DUMB, STUPID, any number of negative adjectives.  I had a plain Chevy van, racks inside to hold spare parts, tools and consumable items.  The van had no advertising but attracted some low life.  As a general process, when servicing printer, computers, Point of sale gear, the good parts are kept on the racks and the bad parts are piled on the floor.  Guess which items the clown stole?  Yup, all my bad parts set to got back to the service center for repair.  Typical example of a THEIF, will take anything, even if they don't know what it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users