Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Bootable Device

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ocean77

ocean77

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:40 PM

I'm checking out a laptop (Gateway) not sure of OS. It keeps coming up "No Bootable Device." I can get further than that when I hit ALT / CTL / DEL and then hit F2 as its coming back, but still can't get back to Windows. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:46 PM

okay so define "checking out".  Are you looking to buy the thing, or are you repairing it for someone else, or what.

Usually "no bootable device" means just that.  Either there isn't a bootable hard drive installed or the boot data has been corrupted or deleted from it such that, even though in hardware terms there is a "bootable device", the operating system is missing or damaged such that the device will not boot.

The easiest way to make progress that I can think of is to make or otherwise acquire a bootable USB device with (example) Win7 on it, or Linux, or whatever and see if the computer will boot to that.  If yes, then you probably have a hard drive problem, it's either missing, physically damaged or the operating system on it is damaged.  If your bootable USB device will not boot, that indicates even more serious problems with the computer, example bad motherboard, power supply, video card, etc... i.e. hardware which is very bad.

I use "Rufus" to make my bootable devices and a Win7 ISO file I download from "somewhere".  I think you can use a 16 Gbyte USB drive. Maybe even an 8 Gbyte.  Not sure. They're cheap now.  I think a 16 Gbyte at Walmart is about $12.00.

http://www.techverse.net/how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-pen-drive-for-windows-7/

Edited by Aaron_Warrior, 24 May 2017 - 06:54 PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Have you tried to boot into Safe MODE?  Even though Windows may not boot conventionally it 's possible that you could still boot into Safe Mode as long as the problem isn't the hdd failing or Windows is totally trashed.

If you aren't familiar with booting into Safe Mode here's how.

Press the power button and immediately start tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options opens, you will see an image similar to the one below.

abow7_zpsc072f26e.png

Use the up or down arrows to maneuver to Safe Mode, click on Enter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users