Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freshly Minted

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 P220ST

P220ST

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:48 AM

Greetings!

I suffer from malware paranoia. I would add a stick of RAM and move up to a dual core CPU just to accomodate 10 hot, new anti-thisandthat utilities. I have the disease.

On the good side, I love to learn. I'm good at it and I'd like to become more facile with computers. My knowledge is concrete and my thinking is from inside the box. I crave a degree of abstraction in my computer thinking so that I can get out of the box where the birds live. But one thing at a time. I graduated from grade 22 some time ago (M.D.) so, libraries are where I like to hang my hat. And now, the library comes to me. Cool.

I love statistics. Thats not so geekish. I play poker a lot and a fundamental working knowledge of behavioral and low-level mathematical stats is indispensable if you want to bust your grandmother on the green felt. Stats and an unswerving belief in the universality of fear and greed will make you a winning card player, guaranteed.

I love music. I'm 42 and new stuff still sends chills down my spine like it did when I was a teenager. My computer time is split 50/50 between learning about computers and listening to music. For me, the ability to expose myself (that didn't sound good) to new music is one of the greatest joys of computing. And frankly, if it can't bring you joy, or bring you money so that you can access joy otherwise, it's a paperweight. Another joy is that computing is bringing about a renaissance in the art of writing. Our generation will be remembered historically for the quill and ink well being exchanged for another tool. I love it, because from that foundation all arts flower.

That is the Jungian meaning of the computer. It's the archetype for amplifying our most powerful human impulses. Notice that I didn't say "best" human impulses. The moralists among us can sort that out; it's a bit beyond me.

Finally, I love to shoot guns.

With Great Anticipation,
-P220ST
HARDWARE
CoolerMaster WaveMaster TAC-T01 Mid-Tower, Intel D975XBX2KR Bad Axe 2 Mobo, Intel® Core™2 Quad 2.4GHz Q6600 CPU, Corsair 4GB [2(2 x 1GB kit)] 5300 DDR2 SDRAM, eVGA e-GeForce 8800GT AKIMBO 512MB SC, Hauppauge HVR-1600, PreSonus Firebox Firewire audio interface/sound card, 4 Seagate 320GB 7200.10 16MB cache HDDs. Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 1TB External Backup.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:28 PM

Posted Image P220ST
Well if you like reading.... what better place than here :thumbsup:
It's nice to see you here :flowers:

BBPP6nz.png

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:55 PM

Hello, P220ST.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Finally, I love to shoot guns.

I can definitely relate. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:05 PM

We are just beginning to see the implications- - - to very many areas of human existence unforseen just a few years ago- - - of the arrival and spread of the internet, music being one such area.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users