Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to delete my WhatsApp account

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

Dear BC Members,

I want to delete my WhatsApp account. (After deleting my WhatsApp account, I will uninstall the WhatsApp app !)

But the problem is that if you decide to delete your WhatsApp account, your backup of WhatsApp in Google Drive will also be deleted, this happens automatically.

I don't want that, I want that Google keeps my WhatsApp backup in the cloud, in case if I ever return to use WhatsApp.

Is there a way for me to delete my WhatsApp account without automatically deleting the WhatsApp backup in Google Drive?

Kindly regards,

DefaultGateway

Edited by DefaultGateway, 24 May 2017 - 10:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:55 PM

Copy the WhatsApp data on Google Drive to a renamed folder on your desktop. Delete your WhatsAppp account. Replace the whats app data from your desktop back to Google Dive?

Or outright move the WhatsApp data from Google Drive to your desktop. Then delete your WhatsApp account.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:04 PM

Thank you for your reply. :) I succesfully deleted my WhatsApp account without letting WhatsApp delete my WhatsApp Backup on Google Drive. What I have done is to "unlink" WhatsApp from my Gmail account / Google Drive, so that WhatsApp doesn't have permission anymore to grant access to my Gmail / Google Drive. So when deleting my WhatsApp account, WhatsApp can't complete the task to delete my WhatsApp Backup on Google Drive.

I haven't tried to restore the backup, but that's because I now want to stop using WhatsApp. But I just checked my Google Drive and the backup is still there :lol:

#4 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:18 PM

If for some reason in the future, I can't restore this WhatsApp Backup I accomplished to keep via the method above, I don't mind, because my WhatsApp messages doesn't contain anything important I want to keep :)

But again, I only managed to delete my WhatsApp account without having the WhatsApp Backup in the cloud (in my case Google Drive) deleted.

I have NOT tried to restore this WhatsApp Backup, so I can NOT and I do NOT confirm that the method described in my third post (#3) is 100% safe.

So if someone is going to do it the way I did in my third post, it is at your OWN RISK.

To be absolutely safe, just DON'T delete your WhatsApp account, but rather just Uninstall the WhatsApp app if you really want to quit WhatsApp.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:38 PM

Thank you for sharing your resolution. This will help others in your similar situation.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:30 AM

FYI, I succesfully restored all my WhatsApp messages using the WhatsApp Backup on Google Drive :D

How to delete your WhatsApp account without losing your WhatsApp messages

#1 Make a backup of your WhatsApp messages using the built-in function of WhatsApp in the WhatsApp app itself to your Apple or Google account.

#2 After you succesfully made a backup of your WhatsApp messages to your Apple or Google account, UNLINK / DISCONNECT your Apple or Google account from your WhatsApp account.

#3 After your Apple or Google account is not connected anymore to your WhatsApp account, you can delete your WhatsApp account if that is what you want.

To delete your WhatsApp account, use the built-in function of WhatsApp in the WhatsApp app itself.

DO NOT delete the WhatsApp folder on your smartphone.

Restoring your WhatsApp messages

#4 Make sure WhatsApp app is installed on your smartphone.

#5 Accept the License Agreement of WhatsApp and follow the steps provided by WhatsApp.

Because I left WhatsApp for a short time, I received some new WhatsApp messages from one of my contacts. This contact was sending a WhatsApp message to me while my account was deleted. I decided to delete these new messages.

I then went to the Settings and I make sure that my Google account with the WhatsApp backup is selected as the location for new backups and to search backups.

DO NOT make a new backup.

DO NOT press the button that says "Make Backup" (or something like that).

Again, I only went to the Settings to make sure that WhatsApp knows what the location is to make new backups and to search backups.

#6 Uninstall WhatsApp app.

#7 Install WhatsApp app again.

#8 You will be asked if you want to restore WhatsApp backup that is found on your Apple or Google account, don't skip this and choose to restore the backup.

#9 You have your WhatsApp messages back.

Again, usage of this tutorial above is still at your OWN RISK. Even though I succesfully have restored my WhatsApp backup, I did this within a short time. For example, maybe Apple or Google won't keep your WhatsApp backup unlimited, but for a limited time. I am not saying that this is the case, but I only say that you must always keep in mind that if you delete your WhatsApp account, there is Always a possibility that you won't be able to recover your WhatsApp messages.

Kindly regards,

DefaultGateway

#7 jamesFuller

jamesFuller

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:26 AM

uninstall the whatsup app, your account will be deactivated whenever you install you will activate your account automatically

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users