Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC with shakey XP system

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 StarfireD

StarfireD

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:38 AM

I have an old computer I keep my MYOB on and the guy from next door deleted stuff from it saying it would speed the system up but did the oposite and left it with wobble when moving a page on the screen.

Unfortunately I don't have my old V13 MYOB disc to reload and wondered if I ran the original Microsoft disc that came with the system to fix the wobble would I loose my MYOB and any other files on the PC?

My other question, ...I have a Dell Studio 540S 64 bit Vista Home Premium system as my newest PC and wondered if I could upgrade my old XP PC with the wobble to Vista that came with the Dell PC??

I now also require an antivirus for the Dell Studio 540S now that Microsoft has terminated the Security Essentials - what would be the best choice on a free antivirus??  My Google request suggests Avast  free antivirus or AVG free antivirus or MSE  ...any advise will be greatly received.

Edited by hamluis, 24 May 2017 - 06:30 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to XP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:39 AM

You can do brain surgery and graft that old drive into the new one.  It may force the OS to invalidate your windows.  There was also another way.  There was a user migration tool but I do not know if it works across different operating systems.  I assume not.  What is this wobble?  Is the wobble an app or a physical thing wrong with your computer?

#3 StarfireD

StarfireD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:20 AM

The wobble is due to something deleted from the system, I don't know what, as the guy next door, some years ago deleted stuff saying it would make it faster?? Yes you rely on some who you think know what they are doing, that was some years ago, a bit more wiser now!

Anyway the MYOB is my main consideration as I do not have the old V13 disc version originally loaded up and don't want to loose the data files I currently use on this secondary XP PC

Would like to know if I can run the original MS XP disc to fix the wobble problem to clean up the system and not loose the MYOB program files installed on the XP PC. I can do a back up but have no disc to reload the program files currently! 

Would running the original MS XP disc wipe out the document files & programs from the PC?

#4 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:10 AM

Again what is this wobble.  I mean EXACTLY.  I read this thread several times and decided not to help because this word "wobble" was so meaningless and now someone else has asked you the question that I had and I STILL don't have any idea what "wobble" is.  Please pay attention here.

That word means nothing.  To anyone.  Not even to you, I suspect.  You use the word and you think it has meaning, even if only to yourself, but it does not.  It's meaningless to you.  And it's meaningless to every single human being on the planet. Not even dogs, cats, chipmonks or gerbils know what this word "wobble" means.  All you are doing is confusing the woodland creatures, as well as the highly-trained computer technicians that would like to help you.

But they can't.  Because you use this word "wobble".  Please, the next time you think of the word "wobble", if it floats up from the morass and the ethers of your brain housing group, please take a metal fork and race to the nearest electrical outlet, plunge the metal fork into the outlet and then, while it is "LIVE" with electricity, place your whole mouth over that fork and use it to deliver a dangerously high electrical charge directly to your brain.  Hopefully the electricity will erase not only the word "wobble", but also your memory of ever having USED the word.  Instead of the dirty, meaningless and polluted areas of your brain that you have now, there will be pure, unadulterated grey matter, totally devoid of this word and anything and everything associated with it, and you can then look forward to spending the rest of your long and happy life, never to be encumbered with this highly annoying and yet simultaneously completely meaningless word.

There.  I think I've made my point.  Remember what I said about the fork, and the outlet.  I meant it; every word.  As soon as that word floats into your conscious, RACE to the outlet with the metal fork and do exactly as I suggested.

FYI to others "MYOB" seems to be an Australian Tax Software, which implies the OP is Australian, which would explain a lot here.  I wonder what voltage they have in AU.  In the US it's 110 VAC.  If AU has 220 VAC, that would be even better.

To OP:
Running a "Repair Install" on your system from a Windows XP Installation disk is an option that might fix thing and if all goes well it will not delete date nor uninstall any software.  A "New Install" will do both (delete the data and you will need to reinstall all the software), so that's an option of last-resort.  We need more information on exactly what is wrong with your computer.  DON'T use that horrible word.  Please.

Also, to the person that wondered about migrating the data to another O/S, I've tried it and XP will not migrate to Vista or Win7, so that isn't an option.  Plus the OP doesn't have a reinstall disk for his MYOB tax software, so saving and repairing his current O/S seems to be the primary goal at this point.  Assuming he survives the metal fork and outlet therapy I've prescribed.

Also to the OP yes you could try to upgrade to Vista but you risk breaking your MYOB software installation. Plus Vista is a POS (google that) and you'd rather have XP than Vista, except of course for the fact that XP is ancient and insecure.  They have ransomware now that will encrypt your whole hard drive and I suspect that XP is going to be totally vulnerable to this malware no matter what AV software you have installed.  If you are a tax preparation professional, you have an obligation to your clients to run a secure Operating System in order to their/your data.  It would be irresponsible, IMO, to continue to run WinXP given the security concerns.  If it's just you and your personal taxes, then you are only risking your own data.  Not smart, but most people run XP because they can't afford the system required to run a secure O/S like Win8. (I'd never run Win10 in a million, trillion years.)

If your Dell Studio 540S shipped with Vista then you could probably run Win7 since they are practically the same Operating System.  Drivers for Win7 might be an issue, but I doubt it. Vista is so bad that, if it were a choice between Vista and buying a used computer with Win7, I'd buy the used Win7 computer. It would be a good idea to separate questions on these two different computers into two different threads so you don't confuse people and have them talking about two different computers both in the same thread.

Edited by Aaron_Warrior, 25 May 2017 - 03:12 AM.

#5 StarfireD

StarfireD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:28 AM

WOW! That was a wobbly read, especially after trying the fork thing, in the 220 v's system ...just burned that word right off my tongue!

Will try to explain better... although I only use the financial package on the XP PC and now that MS support for XP has ceased, I don't access the net on that PC but will check out the 'repair' option to fix the system. Although out dated ...I can't bring myself to dump things that still work!!  I guess it's the old school thing!

The 'wobble' for want of a better word! ...using the mouse courser to grab a frame on the computer screen to reposition it, leaves a trace track of frames as it is moved around the screen on the XP PC  It moves in a slow motion format leaving a frame by frame imprint across the screen, until I let go of the page frame with the courser it re-aligns back to the single frame due to something deleted on the XP system.

I don't think using any out dated financial package on an obsolete system such as XP for running any sort of accountancy business, would be good practice. I just find it handy to print off invoices from the extensive list of product items I have entered and stored over the years. 

Without trying the O/S XP disc, I just wondered what would be the best way to fix the problem without loosing any data from the system. But will investigate that "Repair Install" function. 

Edited by StarfireD, 25 May 2017 - 04:30 AM.

#6 fraserspur

fraserspur

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:56 AM

I can understand you wanting to use the old MYOB software, MYOB uses changes to tax tables for payroll to force users to subscribe to its updates and makes a bundle from it.  

Be careful using the 'Repair Option' with the original O/S XP disk if you have installed Service Packs or Windows updates, I once bricked a machine doing that.  You need to create a new XP Disk using the old disk and the last service pack installed on the XP system, it's called slipstreaming. 

You will need to know which service pack is installed on the machine, the original windows CD and the correct service pack.

This post might will help in putting it altogether:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/647418/windows-xp-slipstream-for-a-business-environment/

Let us know how it went so others can find the solution.

Edited by hamluis, 25 May 2017 - 07:09 AM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

#7 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:27 PM

Without trying the O/S XP disc, I just wondered what would be the best way to fix the problem without loosing any data from the system. But will investigate that "Repair Install" function. 

Be careful with the "Repair Install" as they sometimes fail.  There are certain preparatory steps you can take to increase the chances of a successful repair install.

Your problem sounds like video.  There are a whole host of general fixes that you should try before you do anything specific that assumes you know what the problem is.  In general, before advising you to go any further, I would want to know about:

Temps
Voltages.

Defrag hard drive

how full is the hard drive

run chkdsk twice, and post results

history of infection?

history of other problems?

uninstall all unnecessary software, particularly to include printer software

Options to try before Repair Install:

system restore

sfc/scannow

reinstall video drivers

create new account and see if the problem is account-specific.

Also, I assume the system is old which means that the hardware may be failing, specifically the caps on the motherboard.  If this is the case, you should prepare for total failure, meaning back-up your data.  It might last another couple of years, or it could be dead tomorrow morning.

Check hardware manager.  Click "show hidden devices" and report any flags.

Check Event Viewer and report any chronic and/or significant errors

install "Speccy" and paste it's results into thread

Run defrag

Run chkdsk at least once, twice preferred and post if it reports any errors.

Don't do a Repair Install just yet as that requires prep, and has some risk that the whole system might pooch.  Other suggestions here are safe and risk-free.

Uninstall your Anti-Virus software since you aren't online with this computer (temporarily, to see if that is the cause of the problem).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users