Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What kind of ATA drive enclosure do I need -- copying programs?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Alliecat

Alliecat

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:28 AM

I have a hard drive from my old laptop that I'd like to get a program off of.  This is the drive:

https://www.cnet.com/products/fujitsu-mobile-mhv2040ah-hard-drive-40-gb-ata-100-series/specs/

... it says "ATA 100"... so, not "SATA"?, and yes I've googled but still not clear on the difference.

I do not want to take the computer apart to change the drive... just looking for an enclosure or equivalent docking thingy with a USB cable; I understand I can just plug the drive into it, and will be able to see and copy the files on it...?  If it says "SATA" will my drive work in it?

(And I am assuming I can copy the program files onto the laptop the way I did once when I had to replace all the accessories -- just copied the folders from another computer.)

So what should I get... what should I be looking for in the description to indicate it will fit and work?

This sort of thing?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-2-0-2-5-IDE-ATA-Pata-Hard-Drive-Disk-HDD-External-Case-Enclosure-Box-Black-/261860224067?hash=item3cf815ec43:g:lJUAAOSwFqJWoFW8

Or this... it's less than $10???

https://www.amazon.ca/HDE-External-Drive-Metallic-Enclosure/dp/B00NB3U4S6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1495610542&sr=8-2&keywords=ata+enclosure+usb

These things seem awfully cheap compared to the $60 "docking station" the guy at the electronics store suggested.  It's OK if it doesn't last forever -- just want to get stuff off the drive, and not wreck anything on my current laptop.

Advice appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:47 AM

A SATA adapter will not work with that drive, you will need something described as IDE/PATA like in your first link. However you will need to open up the computer and remove the drive, and in most cases you can't transfer a program and have it work just by copying folders. The vast majority of Windows programs need to be installed and set up in Windows by the setup installer on the program's original installation media or download file.

Edited by Platypus, 24 May 2017 - 02:47 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Alliecat

Alliecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:27 PM

A SATA adapter will not work with that drive, you will need something described as IDE/PATA like in your first link. However you will need to open up the computer and remove the drive, and in most cases you can't transfer a program and have it work just by copying folders. The vast majority of Windows programs need to be installed and set up in Windows by the setup installer on the program's original installation media or download file.

Oh bummer.  I was hoping I could do it the same way I copied all the accessories once.  The old laptop came with the program installed.  I don't know if there's an installer in it...?  I suppose the only way to find out is to look at the drive.  I guess it wasn't clear, the drive IS out of the old 'puter, which was why I was looking for something to put it in.

Thanks for the clarification about the type of adapter.  So as long as it says IDE it should work?  I see some other listings that say both IDE and SATA.  Are IDE/SATA and IDE/PATA which you mentioned, 2 different things?

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:41 AM

IDE and PATA are nominally the same thing (you might also see it call just ATA). SATA is a different interface. You might some "universal" adapters that can handle both PATA/IDE drives AND SATA drives. For example, here is one that I use that will work with both types of drives:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NVSPATA/

On the page that link takes you to, if you look through the pictures of the product, then you will get an idea of what the various connectors look like.

#5 Alliecat

Alliecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

OK, I see.  Thanks for the explanation.  Hmmm, I wonder if that universal type drive would also work with an old drive from a dead desktop which I'd also like to get a program off of -- don't know if it would have the same problem, installers etc.  And it's older than 15 years.  I'm in Canada so shipping might get expensive but I will look around now that I know what terms to look for.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,646 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:58 PM

If all you want to do is pull data off old drives get one of these. Works for SATA or IDE, 2.5 laptop or 3.5 desktop.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-HD-HDD-Converter-Adapter-Cable-/131139498971

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 June 2017 - 02:58 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

You cannot move a program...from one hard to another.  In order for a program to work properly, it must be installed or be a portable version that does not utilize install routines.

You cannot just "move" a program in the same manner that data files can be moved.  The vast majority of programs need to be installed and those installations feature both registry entries and file entries.

Louis

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:45 PM

OK, I see.  Thanks for the explanation.  Hmmm, I wonder if that universal type drive would also work with an old drive from a dead desktop which I'd also like to get a program off of -- don't know if it would have the same problem, installers etc.  And it's older than 15 years.

As JohnC_21 mentioned, it will work for just about any drive you will encounter as it supports SATA (whether 2.5" hard drives or SSD, 3.5" hard drives or SSD, or even SATA optical drives), 2.5" IDE/ATA/PATA drives, or 3.5" or optical drive IDE/ATA/PATA drives (different connector than for 2.5" IDE/ATA/PATA drives). There are some connection types it will not support (for example, the old SCSI connector), but those connection types are either old and not used or highly specialized in more enterprise level equipment.

I'm in Canada so shipping might get expensive but I will look around now that I know what terms to look for.

While I definitely recommend that specific brand and model as I have one and it works great, it was mainly meant as an example and also a good way for your to see the different types of connectors since the webpage for that model comes with good pictures. You can certainly find cheaper options on other sites and likely even locally. As I said, I do recommend and trust that brand and model, but it is on the expensive side compared to others you can find. On the plus side, it is USB 3.0 compare to the one USB 2.0 option that JohnC_21 offered up...assuming you want the extra speed of USB 3.0. But, then you will pay more of a USB 3.0 version even if you don't go with the one I offered. FWIW, OWC (aka macsales.com) does supposedly ship internationally although I consider Canada as kind of psuedo-international since I believe it is not that much more expensive that just shipping to other places in the US...I believe (I want to say I can send a letter to Canada with just a single stamp, but my memory could be faulty...it has been a while since I sent a letter to someone in Canada).

#9 Alliecat

Alliecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for taking the time to help :)  I don't really have to have USB 3.0.

Cost of shipping to Canada really depends on the sender.  Some friends have sent me stuff for fairly reasonable rates, while some commercial shippers have ridiculous prices.  So, have to look around.

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

Check out this one from New Egg Canada, is should do everything you need now and in the near future.

#11 Alliecat

Alliecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:28 PM

Wow, that's cheap!  I'll have to have a closer look at my drives when I have a little more time and make sure they are ok for it.

So... duhh... but when I plug it in is it basically going to look the same as an extra USB drive with all the files in a window?  (This is a dumb question, but it's late, I'm tired, and I've never used one of these before :lmao:  )

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

Yes, a drive in a USB adapter will appear like a flash drive does, as an external drive when you plug it in. If there's more than one partition on the drive, each partition will become an extra drive. For example, if you connected a 320GB drive with Windows installed on one partition and a second data partition, which would be C: and D: drives in the original computer, you might get an F: and a G: drive come up when you plug in the USB connection. But if the drive was all C: drive originally, in the same situation an F: drive would appear with everything on it.

Edited by Platypus, 05 July 2017 - 10:17 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#13 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:44 AM

The adapter I linked should work for laptop IDE, desktop IDE, and SATA drives.  Since it is USB 2, you won't get the fastest speeds, but it will work.

#14 Alliecat

Alliecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:03 PM

There aren't any partitions on either.  I wonder if the programs I was interested in do include the installer files.  Guess I will have to have a look to find out.

Thanks, all :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users