Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

rundll32.exe consumed more than 70 GB of my bandwidth in just 12 days?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Bestnub

Bestnub

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:35 PM

This is my first post, so I apologize in advance if I write anything wrong.. 

My laptop runs Windows 7 and I have recently returned back home for summers. I play some online games(League of Legends) which usually just take like 30-50 MB per game which lasts 30-45 minutes. To my astonishment I get a message on my phone that my 90 GB 16 mbps data limit has been exceeded in just 12 days and I haven't downloaded anything big and I watch Youtube videos on 360p only. I thought it was because of the game but when I approached it to their forums and then I got to know about the 'Resource Monitor'. I opened up & played a game and observed that the game was only using 20-30 KBps during the game but there was something else...  rundll32.exe using 60KBps and when I asked my ISP for the data usage statistics it showed that I've consumed like nearly 300~400+ MB on an average per 'HOUR' of the day everyday... which was not possible as I sleep, go out and like I am not on my laptop 24/7 and my family doesnt use internet that much(that's guaranteed) but my laptop is on 24/7.. I rarely shut down my laptop and it is mostly on 24 hours like everyday. I restart it sometime but not regularly so I came to the conclusion if the laptop is up 24/7 then the 'rundll32.exe' must be using my internet... I googled a lot and found it may be malware/virus but when I right clicked in task manager and opened file location it took me to windows/system32 and on google said that's the legitimate location. I have used Avast to check but nothing comes out and I've deleted the temp files.. I don't know what to do as the whole 90 GB was used up and now the speed has gone down so much that even surfing is so slow.. I don't want the same to happen next month.. So if there could be some fix to this I would be highly obliged if any one of you could help me out..

EDIT: i terminated the rundll32 process from the taskmanager and restarted. The rundll32.exe wasn't there in the resource manager but now there's a Avastsvc.exe consuming 40~60 KBps...

EDIT2: Now its something else...

Attached Files

Edited by Bestnub, 23 May 2017 - 11:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users