Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase template: Cheap but functional laptop

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 blitzjg

blitzjg

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:42 PM

Let me start by saying this is primarily to replace a very old laptop and while its primary use is for work/grad school, I would love if it could handle the two games listed below, and in the TLDR at the bottom I assume if it can handle these 2 games well enough, everything else will work fine.  I know gaming laptops are expensive, so I may be totally disillusioned that a low-range laptop can handle these games.

My budget for the new computer is: I'd like to keep it at or around $300, if that is not feasible I will re-evaluate.

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? 

Mail, browsing, streaming music/TV, bioinformatics (I work in a research lab that deals with big data), possibly some R and Python work, some gaming

What software do you intend on using on the computer? 

The only atypical things I can think of would be Mothur, Gitbash, Python, and I will be accessing my school's high performance computing through WinSCP/PuTTY

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? 

Yes, mostly from my desktop, but on my laptop I would like to run at least League of Legends and Heroes of the Storm

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? 

I will sometimes have a browser open with several tabs, adobe acrobat, word, powerpoint/excel open simultaneously

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

Some music but not a huge amount.

Will you be overclocking?

No

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

Detroit, MI

Do you need peripherals? OS?

Windows 10 (assuming that's recommended)

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

Current laptop is 10ish years old, runs slow with multiple issues.  I have made several topics regarding them on here, but it seems like they are not fixable.

TLDR: I would love to have a laptop that meets these one or both of these specs in terms of gaming, I assume anything else I specified above will be functional with assuming the below specs are met:

RECOMMENDED SPECS

• 3 GHz processor
  • 2 GB of RAM (4 GB of RAM for Windows Vista and higher)
  • 12 GB available hard disk space
  • Nvidia GeForce 8800/AMD Radeon HD 5670 or equivalent video card (Dedicated GPU with 512MB or higher Video Memory(VRAM))
  • Support for DirectX v9.0c or better.
  • Windows XP SP3, Windows VistaWindows 7Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 with the latest service pack installed
  • The latest update to .NET Framework from Microsoft
  • The latest version of Adobe AIR is required to connect to PVP.net. Adobe AIR is included with all League of Legends setup files, but can also be downloaded from Adobe's website.

Windows® 10 64-bit

Processor  

Intel® Core™ i5 or AMD™ FX Series Processor or better

Video

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 650 or AMD Radeon™ HD 7790 or better

Memory  

4 GB RAM

Storage

10 GB available hard drive space

Edited by blitzjg, 23 May 2017 - 08:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:09 PM

Are you willing to go with a refurbished machine?  $300 for a machine that will handle the games you want is a major stretch.

If you can purchase this weekend I would expect that HP and Dell will have some decent deals this weekend.

#3 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

Are you willing to go with a refurbished machine?  $300 for a machine that will handle the games you want is a major stretch.

If you can purchase this weekend I would expect that HP and Dell will have some decent deals this weekend.

Is there a reason I shouldn't?  I've never really considered it but if its the best option.  What do you think I would have to spend for a new one?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:27 AM

Worth A Look, IMO.

Louis

#5 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:42 PM

How come the search criteria in your link is laptops, new and on sale, but refurbished are coming up?

Also how do I interpret the processor requirements?  Obviously i5 is straightforward, should I aim for i6?  But 3 gigahertzs?  and what about the video card requirements, how should I evaluate whether a laptop meets that condition?

What about something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-Touchscreen-processor-MaxxAudio/dp/B01F456M2K/ref=sr_1_62?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1495746729&sr=1-62&keywords=laptops+new+on+sale&refinements=p_n_condition-type%3A2224371011%2Cp_36%3A1253507011

I might spring for $400 if necessary.  Touchscreen is a nice bonus but not at all required.

Edit:

I also found this one, its SSD, not sure how worthwhile that is for 1/4th the storage capacity.

Edited by blitzjg, 25 May 2017 - 04:51 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

Typically...I don't make hardware suggestions, I just point out places where there are choices to be made...based on the criteria the OP has provided thus far.

My perception is a working computer is a good computer.  I only buy components when I happen to be in the same mood that send some to the local fast-food or ice cream vendor :).

My point was to show you that there are a zillion systems and models out there...and the only thing that can narrow that down to a choice for you...is a choice by you.

There is no pat answer, no one "perfect system"...you have to look and see what's available for what you want to spend...and determine what your real needs are, not just stats some manufacturer made important in order to convince people that a given product should be bought.

I don't know anything about laptops (I think of them as disposable computers) but I do know that that they seem to come out with more models each week than I could ever imagine.  And...there are all those system which were on lease to businesses...but which still are capable of adequately performing the computiing tasks which one might come up with.

Louis

#7 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

It seems I can't edit my original post or close the topic, so until I hear from a moderator I will refrain from making a new topic, but I decided I am not going to get a laptop that can handle these games.  It is going to be used exclusively for the other functions I listed, which I think makes the search much more feasible.

I'd like to make a new topic so that that is more clear, but will wait for a moderator to advise.

Thanks.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:56 AM

I see no reason to create a new topic...but, of course, if you see something to be gained from such, that's the course of action to pursue.

Personally...I always like to see the trail that leads up to a given successful resolution of a posted situation...but if a new topic provides the focus you want...that's the route to take :).

Let us know if you want to close this topic and it can be done.

Louis

#9 pramodpaul

pramodpaul

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:03 AM

All types of cheap and functional laptop please visit http://china.exportersindia.com/computers-internet/notebook_laptops.htm. contains thosands of listings related to laptops.

#10 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:05 AM

I mean I'm all for keeping this open, but I worry that my initial post is now misleading and not sure if I will get any more specific suggestions, but I will give it some time 

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:22 AM

Most members don't mind making specific suggestions, as long as they have enough info to understand what you want, budget, and other pertinent factors.If what you desire today...is different from what you portray in your topic title...a new topic may best serve.

We don't normally close topics...we just leave them open unless they mandate closure because of rules violation or multiple postings of same subject matter.  If you want to initiate a new topic which does not confine your interest to laptops...I will close this one to prevent confusion and misunderstanding by those who would respond to criteria which are no longer applicable.

Louis.

#12 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:07 PM

These three are all solid machines with 8GB of RAM and a 250GBish SSD drive.  You'll be hard pressed to find better specs in your price range.

HP EliteBook Folio 9470m - $356

Dell Latitude E6320 - $290

Dell Latitdue E7440 - $355

Here was my search so you can see more.  Most refurbished machine are business lease returns.  

#13 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:26 PM

These three are all solid machines with 8GB of RAM and a 250GBish SSD drive.  You'll be hard pressed to find better specs in your price range.

HP EliteBook Folio 9470m - $356

Dell Latitude E6320 - $290

Dell Latitdue E7440 - $355

Here was my search so you can see more.  Most refurbished machine are business lease returns.  

Thank you KillJoy!  Since refining my criteria I would rather avoid refurbished, I would rather have something new unless its just not going to give me any decent functionality.  What would be the limitations/sacrifices of going new over refurbished in the same range of price options you suggested?

The important stuff is now:

That I want to avoid any significant slowdowns/problems when I have a browser open with several tabs and am also running adobe acrobat, word, powerpoint/excel simultaneously

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? 

Mail, browsing, streaming music/TV/movies, bioinformatics (I work in a research lab that deals with big data), possibly some R and Python work

What software do you intend on using on the computer? 

The only things I can think of besides what's covered above would be Mothur, Gitbash, Python, and I will be accessing my school's high performance computing through WinSCP/PuTTY

I think if someone could suggest some specs that will provide me with at least this level of functionality, I can do my own search and then maybe post what I find here for feedback?

Edited by blitzjg, 26 May 2017 - 06:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users