Let me start by saying this is primarily to replace a very old laptop and while its primary use is for work/grad school, I would love if it could handle the two games listed below, and in the TLDR at the bottom I assume if it can handle these 2 games well enough, everything else will work fine. I know gaming laptops are expensive, so I may be totally disillusioned that a low-range laptop can handle these games.
My budget for the new computer is: I'd like to keep it at or around $300, if that is not feasible I will re-evaluate.
What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?
Mail, browsing, streaming music/TV, bioinformatics (I work in a research lab that deals with big data), possibly some R and Python work, some gaming
What software do you intend on using on the computer?
The only atypical things I can think of would be Mothur, Gitbash, Python, and I will be accessing my school's high performance computing through WinSCP/PuTTY
Do you play games? If so, what type of games?
Yes, mostly from my desktop, but on my laptop I would like to run at least League of Legends and Heroes of the Storm
Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
I will sometimes have a browser open with several tabs, adobe acrobat, word, powerpoint/excel open simultaneously
Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
Some music but not a huge amount.
Will you be overclocking?
Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?
Do you need peripherals? OS?
Windows 10 (assuming that's recommended)
Any particular reason why you are upgrading?
Current laptop is 10ish years old, runs slow with multiple issues. I have made several topics regarding them on here, but it seems like they are not fixable.
TLDR: I would love to have a laptop that meets these one or both of these specs in terms of gaming, I assume anything else I specified above will be functional with assuming the below specs are met:
- 3 GHz processor
- 2 GB of RAM (4 GB of RAM for Windows Vista and higher)
- 12 GB available hard disk space
- Nvidia GeForce 8800/AMD Radeon HD 5670 or equivalent video card (Dedicated GPU with 512MB or higher Video Memory(VRAM))
- Support for DirectX v9.0c or better.
- Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 with the latest service pack installed
- The latest update to .NET Framework from Microsoft
- The latest version of Adobe AIR is required to connect to PVP.net. Adobe AIR is included with all League of Legends setup files, but can also be downloaded from Adobe's website.
Edited by blitzjg, 23 May 2017 - 08:43 PM.