Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 - Desktop and taskbar continuously refresh

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kstinmb

kstinmb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:41 PM

Hello!

My laptop was recently upgraded to Windows 10 Creators Update V1703 (15063.296). Ever since the first reboot, the desktop and taskbar refresh continuously and I can't get anything done. I can bring up Task Manager with Ctrl-Alt-Del, and start a program with Create New Task, but I have not been able to stop the refresh. I have seen a few posts with a similar problem, but they're from a couple of years ago and haven't helped.

What triggers Windows Explorer to refresh the desktop? Is there something in the registry I can look for?

The hardware is an HP Elitebook 8560w (Intel Core i7-2630QM) with two SSD 240GB drives and 24GB memory. The previous version of Windows 10 worked fine with no complaints.

I would appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Regards,

-stephen

Myrtle Beach SC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:45 AM

Is this thread of any help?

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/32182-desktop-toolbar-constantly-refreshing.html

#3 kstinmb

kstinmb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:36 PM

Thank you, yes, the suggestion in the thread to uninstall the IDT Audio codecs via Control Panel stopped the out-of-control desktop and taskbar refresh after a reboot. The refresh was actually the desktop explorer.exe crashing and restarting.

I don't yet understand the reason behind it or what impact it will have on the system. I still see a "High Definition Audio Device" in the Device Manager and the audio on the laptop appears to be working fine.

Regards,

-stephen

Myrtle Beach SC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users