Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Non-admin needs help with Displayed name win10 domain user

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cs2870

cs2870

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:06 AM

Hey guys, 

I kind of fell into the role of supporting a server, but I am definitely not a server admin. I'm fairly workstation savvy.

The server is 2012, and there's one domain in which all the users are members of, about 30 or so. 

Someone set a user's profile up months ago with the wrong last name.  So every time she logs in to her windows 10 machine, it displays the wrong name.

I changed her name on the server, but it still shows the wrong name on her machine. How can I change that?

If I log her onto a different machine for the first time, will it still show the wrong name?

Is there something on the server besides her First name / last name that I need to change?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TechUser01

TechUser01

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:42 PM

That depends on how you changed it.

In Active Directory, when you right clicked on the persons name, did you change it under the general only? If you did, you will have to also change it under the Account tab in the area called user logon name. Typically, it would be the first initial and last name like JDoe.

Easiest is to find the account again in Active Directory, right click on the name and click rename, you would be able to correct the name and the user logon name at the same time. From, what I read, it seems the First and Last was changed only.

If you sign into another machine, it will go off of what Active Directory sees, specifically, the user logon name so if that is wrong still, her sign in name will be wrong.

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:14 PM

You can change the name as techuser said, also note that the C:\users\%username% will still be the old SID/Name.

If she ever sees that path she m,ight have a hissy fit as some chicks do then you just rename that C:\users\hername and then log her back in and it will be the new name and if its not, attribute edirot is your friend but be careful lool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users