Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Group Policy Client service failed the logon

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jackhero

jackhero

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:51 AM

I am using Vista Business SP2. Two days ago when I restarted my laptop I received the following message while trying to login to my account,

"The Group Policy Client service failed the logon, Access is denied"

Because of this problem I am locked out of my account and cant get in at all.

I am not sure when did this problem started because usually I put my laptop to sleep while I am not using it. I faced this problem when I restarted. I only had one user account as admin in windows.

I searched for this problem and found that I could try to login via safe mode. I tried and I am able to login to the same account in safe mode. As suggested in search some people said you could try making another account of admin. Maybe it happened because of the profile getting corrupt. Some people said you could modify ntuser.dat file of the affected account. But I could not find that file, although I could see files (two of them) with same name in new account ntuser.datLog1 and ntuser.datLog2.

I cant access my old profile through the new one. 

I would like to ask that is there any possible way to recover my old account along with its data?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

If you can login via safe mode you should be able to create a new user account and transfer the data from the corrupted profile.

Open a command prompt in Safe Mode and type

net user administrator /active:yes

This will enable the hidden administrator account. Reboot the computer and in the Administrator Account create a new admin user. Transfer the data then disable the Administrator account in an elevated command prompt by typing

net user administrator /active:no

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

#3 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:35 AM

If you do not have any group policies then just disable group policies.  There was this thing going around in public libraries and forcing group policies on strangers.  (maybe they got the system account from decyphering XP code).  I had shadow volume copy and the whole networking functionality attacked by rogue remote group policies... also check to see if you have a dell and if CompuTrace is on.

#4 jackhero

jackhero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:39 AM

I

If you can login via safe mode you should be able to create a new user account and transfer the data from the corrupted profile.

This will enable the hidden administrator account. Reboot the computer and in the Administrator Account create a new admin user. Transfer the data then disable the Administrator account in an elevated command prompt by typing

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

Isn't there any possible way to recover the old profile instead of making a new one?

#5 jackhero

jackhero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:40 AM

If you do not have any group policies then just disable group policies.  There was this thing going around in public libraries and forcing group policies on strangers.  (maybe they got the system account from decyphering XP code).  I had shadow volume copy and the whole networking functionality attacked by rogue remote group policies... also check to see if you have a dell and if CompuTrace is on.

I am an individual user not connected to any group etc. Could you please tell me how to disable group policies? also the dell and compu trace how to check it

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

I

Isn't there any possible way to recover the old profile instead of making a new one?

See this guide. It does require editing the registry so be careful. It may be best just to create a new profile then transfer the personal data.

Video showing the process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users