Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Not Showing Up [Windows 7]

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nineofkings

nineofkings

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:37 AM

Hey everyone, I'm trying to connect a friend's external hard drive to my Windows 7 computer. It installs the drivers correctly, and shows up in Device Manager and Hard Disk Manager, but I can't actually access the contents of the drive. In Hard Disk Manager it doesn't show the drive type (NTFS, FAT32 etc.) and all options are greyed out except for "delete partition." I've attached a screenshot.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:54 AM

Was this an OEM external drive or was this drive removed from a computer and put in an enclosure. The reason I ask is because the drive looks like a boot drive. Is your Windows 32bit or 64bit?  By all rights Windows should read this disk. Is the disk able to be read using a different computer?

#3 nineofkings

nineofkings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:53 AM

OEM external drive, Western Digital My Passport. It has been connected to other computers but only Macs afaik. My computer is Windows 7 64 bit.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:56 AM

Doesn't this WD HD use on-board/circuit-level encryption? And, if DriveLock was passworded, would not that password be needed?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:40 AM

Doesn't this WD HD use on-board/circuit-level encryption? And, if DriveLock was passworded, would not that password be needed?

Should still see what file system is on the disk. i.e. FAT, NTFS. 

I am not sure what is going on and if this was an WD passport there should not be a EFI System Partition on the disk if only used for data. 

Can you assign a letter to the 931GB partition using an elevated command prompt?

http://www.disk-partition.com/diskpart/assign-drive-letter-4125.html

If not then download Partition Wizard. Run the program and post a screenshot. 

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

OEM external drive, Western Digital My Passport. It has been connected to other computers but only Macs afaik. My computer is Windows 7 64 bit.

I added the bold and red.

Could the drive have been formatted on a Mac to HFS+ (aka "Mac formatting")? If so, then you cannot mount it on a Windows computer unless you install third party software that can allow Windows to read Mac formatted disks.

Edited by smax013, 23 May 2017 - 01:52 PM.

#7 nineofkings

nineofkings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:04 AM

I added the bold and red.

Could the drive have been formatted on a Mac to HFS+ (aka "Mac formatting")? If so, then you cannot mount it on a Windows computer unless you install third party software that can allow Windows to read Mac formatted disks.
This seems to be it. I tried using diskpart (for the first time, was nervous) to mount it to a drive, which worked, but I still couldn't actually access the drive even though it appeared in My Computer. Later I connected the drive to a school Mac and it showed up as "My Passport for Mac." Case closed. I guess I'll see if I can find some software to read Mac drives.

Edited by nineofkings, 24 May 2017 - 04:06 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for pointing out the hfs+ connection smax013.

4 ways to read a Mac

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 May 2017 - 08:25 AM.

#9 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

Yes I'm with RolandRS... it is probably encrypted.  There is this assumption that an attacker can put a password in the security module if security was not on the USB device and then it becomes a type of ransomware situation.

If its hfs+?  Just boot up to a Live linux distribution or find a tool that can read the mac file format.

Edited by GoofProg, 24 May 2017 - 08:46 AM.

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:00 AM

I guess I'll see if I can find some software to read Mac drives.

I have used MacDrive (see the link that JohnC_21 posted) in the past and it did the job.

The other longer term type "solution" is to use a different drive format if that drive needs to be shared between both Windows computers and Macs. Most external drives come formatted as FAT32, which will work with both Macs and Windows computers (and Linux computers)...but many external drives sold for use with Macs might come formatted as HFS+. Biggest issue with FAT32 is that it does not support files over 4 GB in size. Many times that is not an issue. The other option is exFAT, I believe. I believe moderns versions of Windows (Vista SP1 or later) and macOS (10.6.6 or later) support it. And I don't think it has the same file size limitation as FAT32.

Of course, if changing the format, that would require backing up all the content on the drive before doing that and then restoring it after the format change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users