Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP slipstream for a business environment

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 reversenotation

reversenotation

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:44 AM

Hi

My employer uses non-internet connected XP machines which work in conjunction with lab equipment.  There is no chance of upgrading these machines to a latter OS.  My boss is looking to create a slipstreamed copy of XP SP3 with hopefully all updates but failing that, with as many updates as possible.

From looking online it appears that the main way of achieving this is to use nLite and a Win XP SP3 Network Installation Package provided by Microsoft.  Unfortunately this Network installation package seems to be no longer available.

I appreciate that there are unofficial sources for this kind of thing, but under the circumstances I don't wish to use this in a business environment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

JN

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:10 AM

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=SP3%20XP

Louis

#3 reversenotation

reversenotation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

Many thanks Louis!

#4 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:18 PM

I used to slipstream for my IT department when I worked there.  I actually bought one for the department but I was the only one that used it to tuck away drivers in it.  I think Microsoft made a deployment tool but I am not sure if XP was supported.  I know Windows 7 was.  It was called the "deployment tool"

#5 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:21 AM

I love nLite and slipstreaming.  Make sure to do full research on all the options because nLite can pretty much do anything you want. All your settings and preferences could be configured prior to installation so everything is perfect and exactly how you want it just as soon as the install is finished.

Also consider making an ISO with nLite, then use Rufus to use the ISO to make a bootable USB drive.  USB installations are MUCH faster than CD/DVD installs, as long as you can get the machine to boot to the USB drive.  Consider temporarily connecting each machine to the internet for the purpose of getting all the updates you can before putting the machines into service.  Also note you can slipstream drivers into the nLite ISO or disk, so if you have a specialized piece of hardware working in a PCI slot, you can incorporate that hardware's drivers into the nLite installation data, so it's found automatically and installed automatically at the time of installation.

Did I mention I love nLite?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users