Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are these heat sinks called?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jay_is_bored

Jay_is_bored

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:53 AM

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/10LC/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:02 AM

It's a radial fin heatsink with a copper core.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:04 AM

Looks like it could have came off of a graphics card or a chipset, not much to compare with but the three tapped screw holes on the top side looks like a fan mounted in there

Edited by Joe C, 23 May 2017 - 07:42 AM.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:23 PM

Yes, it would have had a fan in the middle. I've got one very similar mounted on an old graphics card (it was an aftermarket cooler made by Zalman).

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Jay_is_bored

Jay_is_bored
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:49 PM

The reason I wanted to know the name of it was so I might be able to look up how to disassemble it. The pictures show the obvious, but...it's mostly a circular piece of aluminum with lots of fins. But it has a copper core, and also a small piece of steel presumably for mounting it. I wanted to remove the copper core. But hitting it hard and repeatedly with a hammer and/or pipe to extend the reach of the hammer didn't make it budge at all. So I'm now curious if it's press fit so incredibly well that so much force won't even make it budge. OR it's threaded in there. I tried using the metal tabs to unscrew it. I tried in the typical counter-clockwise way, and then tried the less likely clockwise direction. Nothing I do makes the tiniest bit of difference. So now I'm more curious. At first I just wanted to scrap the copper and aluminum separately, but there's not enough of it to justify the time spent. So now it's mostly just my own curiosity keeping me at it.

I guess if I can't figure it out another way, I'll just use a saw and cut through the whole thing to see.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,810 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:46 PM

You'll have to saw it. They are a tight interference fit - the fin assembly is heated so it expands and the core is cooled so it shrinks, then the core is inserted with a press. The aluminum and copper can form a slight molecular bond under pressure too, so the combination of this and the tight mechanical contact give good thermal transfer from the core to the fins.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 Jay_is_bored

Jay_is_bored
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:50 PM

I think I'm gonna go outside and cut it in half right now. I'll report back =P

#8 Jay_is_bored

Jay_is_bored
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:33 PM

Well that took way more effort than I was expecting. It turns out they are just press fit. No threads. Here's the aftermath:

the_pile_left_after_heat_sink_shredded.j

Here's the copper being weighed. Almost a pound. (Weights are in ounces.)

copper_weight.jpg

Aluminum being weighed:

large_aluminum_pile_weighed.jpg small_aluminum_pile_weighed.jpg

Worth a total of about $2.73. I did it almost completely out of curiosity, but if you're doing it purely for the money, it's a ridiculous waste of time of course.

#9 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:07 PM

So.... you earned about $2.73 an hour attempting to recycle heatsinks?

You might have gotten $5.00 selling it on ebay

Edited by Joe C, 25 May 2017 - 01:09 PM.

#10 Jay_is_bored

Jay_is_bored
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

So.... you earned about $2.73 an hour attempting to recycle heatsinks?

You might have gotten $5.00 selling it on ebay

No. I had realized quickly it was not going to come out without a lot of time and effort. And I knew it wasn't worth much. So I let it sit in my scrap pile for a long time until I finally decided to hack it apart for fun. Like I said in one of the above responses, I was curious. Also, I found it somewhat entertaining. $2.73 in scrap, $5.00 on ebay, either way it's not worth the time if money is the only motive.

Oh, here's a quote of mine from post #8: "Worth a total of about $2.73. I did it almost completely out of curiosity, but if you're doing it purely for the money, it's a ridiculous waste of time of course."

Edited by Jay_is_bored, 25 May 2017 - 02:48 PM.

#11 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:12 PM

...I was curious.

And maybe bored...after all your user ID...

:grinner:

#12 Jay_is_bored

Jay_is_bored
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:23 PM

Hehe. Yeah, a bit bored too. At  least before I decided to start breaking it open.

Fortunately my 3 year old likes to take things apart too, so we have fun disassembling things. We've taken sooooo many things apart. One time we opened up the case to a DVD player, and he got excited and said "Look, capacitors!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users