Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi. Need name resolution help.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 533watts

533watts

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:50 PM

Hi everyone

I'm setting up MS Server 2016 for the first time upgrading from WHS and I'm finding the initial setup difficult.

Specifically name resolution. I used to be able to type in Homeserver/connect to take me to the essentials connector software (essentials is installed and ready), or go to Windows Explorer under networks and connect to the remote shares directly by just clicking the name and typing in my credentials but none of this is working.

I can see the Server under explorer but it fails to connect like the photos show.

The only thing I've done that might be causing issues but I doubt it is the domain name I setup : internal.(owned-website).com. I plan to host a website and learn how to do that along the way but I don't think this custom name could be causing this.

My network topography is : Modem --> Router (running DHCP) --> all of my client devices including Server

I'm sure you will need more information but I'm not sure where to start so just let me know what you need and I'll post right away

Thanks everyone

Jordan

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 533watts

533watts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:00 PM

Something I found that's interesting but I'm not sure what this means. When I type into the browser homeserver.internal.(owned-website)/connect it does take me to the download page for essentials connector.

However it fails to setup correctly and says my computer is already a member of another windows domain.

Attached Files

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:20 PM

Share permissions would be myu first guess and also allow a firewall rule as well mate.

Also run the command from an elevated command prompt "net use \\homserver\ipc$", see if that connects after supplying credentials.

Also using a browser would be looking for the IIS7^ default website.

Remember that share permissions allow you to see objects and NTFS permissions allow you to edit the object inside of a shared object.

So, if you cant even see the folder, its normally a share permission issue or firewall issue.

Another thing i forgot to mention is in windows explorer on both machines type "network" and this will ask to be activated, its also going to turn on SSD discovery etc as apposed to manually enabling the services.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 22 May 2017 - 08:22 PM.

#4 533watts

533watts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:13 PM

I think i'm making progress here. It seems that I created a domain similar to what I've experienced in corporate environments. Don't know why that didn't occur to me while I was doing it lol maybe I was in auto pilot. But by making my computer part of that domain everything started to work. The essentials connector, and a bunch of other stuff just kinda fell in line. I need to go eat dinner, wife will get unhappy if i'm late. I'll be right back

#5 533watts

533watts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:55 PM

Okay so even though it does work, seemingly, perfect while the computer is connected to the domain, I don't want MS Server to not allow connections to remote shares or essentials just because they don't use the domain controller. But I'm not sure how to go about fixing this. I have a laptop here that when I type into explorer \\HomeServer it does nothing and it cannot connect. however if I type in the \\homeserver.internal.(mywebsite).com, then it works which is also okay I guess I just don't fully understand why it won't work by just typing in HomeServer.

Thanks for helping Johnny, I do have sharing turned on and it shows the network path it should be accessible too but it doesn't work without the domain stuff at the end.

The CMD command worked on my desktop connected to the domain but not the laptop. On the laptop is says the specified server cannot perform the requested operation. On the desktop it says successful.

How do I check the firewall rules for this sorta thing?

Attached Files

Edited by 533watts, 22 May 2017 - 09:58 PM.

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:16 PM

mate for the pc not on the domain, have you ever looked at the windows credentials manager?

If not i would check that out because you can set up some credentials to access shares even though your pc is not on the domain.

#7 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:59 PM

I am not a server guy but there is a way to make a name alias yes?

I'm the guy that will get pissed off and just hard code a host file.

#8 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:10 PM

I am not a server guy but there is a way to make a name alias yes?

I'm the guy that will get pissed off and just hard code a host file.

Thats ok but any AV worth its weight would block any access to the hosts file.

#9 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:12 PM

Hello

If you have a domain you will save yourself a LOT of problems if you let the server do DNS for you.
So if the router is doing this at the moment you should change the DHCP server in the router to pass server ip as DNS server.

Personally i prefer to run DHCP too from the server, but thats another case :)

Hth!

tfn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users