Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

~Laptop has black screen on startup~~

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jake21

jake21

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

Toshiba satellite C75D laptop. Windows 7 professional in stalled. 2MB DR3 Memory, 560 GB  Hard.

Upon start laptop screen is black. I can see the lights of the hard drive blinking, etc. But the screen is black with no display. I removed the RAM and tested in another laptop, and the RAM memory is fine. Possible places to start the diagnosis?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:54 AM

Would a bad hard drive cause this? I cant even see the screen to get to the BIOS setup. ..all black...just light flickers on panel.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:58 PM

Try shining a flash light at differing angles as the screen while looking really close. My leading suspect would be that the backlight died on the laptop's screen. If so, there will still be things displayed, but it will look black and you will only be able to see the contents with a flash light aimed at specific angles while looking closely. If this is the case, then you will either have to get the screen replaced or use an external monitor. This has happened with my buddy's laptop.

Other obvious possibility is that the screen died completely. Again, the solution would be to replace the screen or hook it up to an external monitor.

The other possibility is that it was somehow switched into external display only mode. This would require a key push on the keyboard (which key or keys would depend on the laptop model). This is less likely, but still a possibility.

There are other, less obvious possibilities, but the above would be my leading suspects.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:59 PM

Would a bad hard drive cause this? I cant even see the screen to get to the BIOS setup. ..all black...just light flickers on panel.

You would still be able to get into the BIOS with a bad hard drive...and you likely would get some sort of "insert bootable media" or similar message if the drive was bad.

#5 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:43 AM

Thanks....I"ll try the flash light and see what I can see there....great starts..appreciate your time!!

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:53 PM

Thanks....I"ll try the flash light and see what I can see there....great starts..appreciate your time!!

In combination, you can try hooking it up to an external monitor if you have one. You will likely need to switch it to a mode that will send output to the external display as most Windows laptops don't do that by default in my experience. It can typically be done by way of one of the function keys. It will have a little rectangle type symbol on it to kind of represent a monitor/screen. You typically then have to hold down the "Fn" key and press that function key. Some laptops the process is just a toggle type switch (i.e. push keys once to go to the next mode, then again to the next mode, etc). Others will bring up menu when you press the keys that then allows you to select which mode (my buddy's Dell with the dead backlight does it this way)...of course, this method is kind self-defeating if the internal screen of the laptop is not working. :grinner: It took me a while to be able to see that menu when using the flashlight, so I was not I could get it to use an external display at first.

#7 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:47 AM

I don't see a port to attach an external monitor to the Toshiba.....do you know the way to brighten the display. I recall reading a post where, the problem was the brightness had somehow been placed to DARK....and increasing the brightness brought the display back...just a long shot?

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

I don't see a port to attach an external monitor to the Toshiba.....do you know the way to brighten the display. I recall reading a post where, the problem was the brightness had somehow been placed to DARK....and increasing the brightness brought the display back...just a long shot?

Typically for many Windows laptops brightness of the internal screen is controlled with a combination of the Fn key and two function keys (one for brighter and one for darker). Look for function keys with little sun symbols on them.

Edit: I should add that the flashlight trick works best with the lights turned off. Then point the flash light parallel along the face of the screen, not directly at it.

Edited by smax013, 29 May 2017 - 08:53 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:24 PM

I don't see a port to attach an external monitor to the Toshiba.....

That model came with a VGA port and a HDMI port to attach an external monitor.

Edited by dc3, 30 May 2017 - 12:25 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:53 PM

OK....got the HDMI port......hooked up...still no signal,etc. Thanks for the help....will part this one out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users