Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Small footprint office suite

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jmoore0602

jmoore0602

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:57 AM

Hi all,

I'm running an old Samsung NP-NC10 netbook with Windows XP. It has a 16GB SSD (14.8 GB usable) and 2GB of RAM. It's just for tinkering and occasionally for writing papers or presentations while deployed. I'm looking for one of the free office suites for offline work, but need to know what has the smallest footprint. Windows and the AV/Firewall software only take about 5GB, so I have a little over 9GB left. While LibreOffice fits, it fills most of the drive and I really only need Word/Excel/Powerpoint equivalents. Everything else is fluff I likely won't use. Thank you in advance for your time and your help.

v/r

Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:19 AM

You have a few options

Use Google Docs  

Use Office 365 free  Edit: I missed the offline part, sorry.

Install the portable version of LibreOffice to a USB flash drive and run it form there. Double click the exe file and install it to your flash drive. You can also install the Portable Apps Launcher then install Libre Office. This will allow you to easily launch other portable apps from the main interface.

_features_-_organize14.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 May 2017 - 10:23 AM.

#3 jmoore0602

jmoore0602
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:02 AM

Thanks! The worst part is, I use PortableApps for diagnostics and troubleshooting. I completely forgot all of the other things it can do (like run LibreOffice).

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

You could also look at Softmaker Free Office or WPS Office Free.

Also, if you don't want to "go portable" doesn't Libre Office allow you to install just the selected products out of the suite that you want?  I honestly can't remember the answer to that question.  I know that some of these suites do just that.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users