Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup Woes

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 cocodapuf

cocodapuf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:59 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/582153/backups-without-drive-letters/ - Hamluis.

So I'm trying to solve basically the same problem in basically the same way.  The thing is, I need to set up an automated backup system, (as far as I'm concerned there's no point in backup unless it's automated).  But there really is no point in backing up a drive, and then leaving the backup drive connected to the same system.  All drives visible to the system would be equally at risk. So the goal is to have an automated system that works like this:

1. Mount backup drive
  2. Perform backup
  3. Unmount backup drive

That's the whole plan. That way 99.9% of the time the backup drive isn't mapped or available, but the backup plan is still totally automated, it just works when it has to.

So far here's what I've got: I'm using easeus todo backup, I've scheduled a weekly backup task.  I've created scripts in bat files to mount and dismount the drive.  Before easeus starts its backup task, it runs the mount script, after it finishes it runs the unmount script. That should be simple. The only problem I have now is that these scripts require administrator privilege to run, but as soon as I get that solved, this should actually work, in theory.  

Any advice?

Also, here's those scripts I'm using if anyone's interested.

Mount:

@echo off

REM Be sure to change the letter below to the drive letter you want to mount the drive to!
set drive=K

REM Be sure to change this to the Volume Name of the drive you want to mount!
set volume=\\?\Volume{xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx}\

:start
mountvol %drive%: %volume%

exit

unmount

@echo off

REM Be sure to change the letter below to the drive you want to unmount! 
set drive=K:

mountvol %drive% /p

exit

Edited by hamluis, 21 May 2017 - 05:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users