Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally used Delete on a registry entry...PC will not reboot

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 hazelludlow

hazelludlow

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:38 PM

hullo...

I was removing a program from PC and accidentally used Delete in registry, one level above the entry I needed to delete, and now cannot boot...

It brings me to my login screen, with the password box being a mess of characters...

have tried restarting and F8: nothing...F2: nothing...ESC: gets me into the pre-boot menu...I am trying to get into System Recovery, but cannot figure out how...now I get Checking file system on C:, which I have let run...and run...

serious help needed...

thank you very much for ny help at all...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hazelludlow

hazelludlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

Okay...

can get to login screen, but there is a flashing menu box with various characters...if I hold ALT and press ESC the box stays on the screen, but clicking on it achieves nothing...it continually stays like this...

h...

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:20 PM

If you have access to another computer create a System Repair Disk and do a System Restore to a date before the deletion. A Windows 7 install disk can also work. Click Repair Computer link on the install screen. If you do not have another Windows 7 computer you can burn an iso of your Windows 7 version after downloading using this tool.

If the above is not possible you can use a live linux disk to copy the Registry Hives from C:\Windows\System32\config\Regback

To the config folder but rename the registry hives in config first. This will only work if the dates on the files in Regback are before the deletion.

#4 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:57 PM

You can use any Win7 installation disk, even one you create from an ISO you download off the internet, boot to the disk and "Repair Your Computer" and it will find an old version of your registry and rebuild it.  Don't do that kind of thing ever again.  This is God telling you to stay the h*** out of the registry.

#5 dna9

dna9

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:29 PM

^^ this ^^   "This is God telling you to stay the h*** out of the registry".

#6 EllaShan

EllaShan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:29 AM

Hi,

Registry keys should be backed up before deleting or proceeding with the steps mentioned online. Because the process can't be reversed.

In this case, as you have already deleted the registry keys, you should repair it by using the software which fixes registry keys.

Search via web 'Software to fix registry keys' and it will give you results. Read Reviews choose the best one and let us know if the problem is fixed.

J

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:51 AM

Hi,

Search via web 'Software to fix registry keys' and it will give you results. Read Reviews choose the best one and let us know if the problem is fixed.

None of the "tools" found via such search...will replace an entry which has been deleted, IMO.  Rather than restoring missing keys, many (if not all) such programs found by the suggested search...are designed to remove, not restore, registry data.  Using such will only compound your problems, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 May 2017 - 02:37 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:39 AM

None of the "tools" found via such search...will replace an entry which has been deleted, IMO.  Rather than restoring missing keys, many (if not all) such programs found by the suggested search...are designed to remove, not restore, registry data.  Using such will only compound your problems, IMO.

Louis

Actually, this can be repaired with the proper installation media.  JohnC_21's post is a very good example of how this can be done. :thumbup2:

Edited by hamluis, 25 May 2017 - 02:35 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:42 PM

I've never trusted these "back up your registry" softwares.  The whole idea seems stupid to me.  So you "back up your registry" somewhere.

Where?  And what form is the backup.  Is it a .zip file?  Is it in the exact same format as what windows uses?  Where IS the back-up data?  Do you need the back-up software to reconstruct the back-up, if you need to?  If so, how do you do it?

So, I dutifully "back up my registry" like all these (stupid) threads say you are supposed to, and then I delete my  HKLM\VERY IMPORTANT REGISTRY KEY, and on reboot I have a brick.

Now what?  The machine won't boot.  I can't get to Safe Mode.  I can't do anything.  I have (stupid) "Registry Backup Software" installed on my computer (that won't boot), and it saved a copy of my registry somewhere (I don't know where) on a computer that I can't boot, in a data format that Windows might not be able to use, and if it can, how do I get the back-up data to replace the corrupted data.

Does anyone know anything about the registry hive? I do.  There's like 5 different files.  It's really complex.  It's not as simple as you'd think and reconstructing that data isn't going to happen by a layperson that only knows they install "magic registry software" that "saved a copy of his registry" to an "unknown location on a hard drive" in a "format that is unknown" on a "machine that WON'T BOOT" because "some anonymous person online" said to "back up your registry", so they did what they were told, back up the registry (stupidly, uselessly, blindly and without any idea of what to do if the machine bricks) and armed with the (retarded) self-confidence of the pretend knowledge of an equally uninformed and anonymous stranger online, the break-out their +4 battleaxe of Anciente Registry Destruction and gleefully hack and slash at innocent, peaceful registry villagers that want nothing more that to live out their lives serving the interests of the video card, but no they were ruthlessly murdered by some over-confident maniac who hated them because there was a post they found online that said that registry entry was malware.  (This was me, 15 years ago, the very first time I deleted a registry entry and bricked my first computer).

But you never read about the TRUTH of this whole process, which is that it is STUPID.  It's stupid to think that you are somehow, as a layperson, going to reconstruct a "backed-up registry" on a machine that WON'T BOOT.  Never once, in the history of my online computer repair shenanigans have I ever read a post from "Some Guy" saying "Jeez, I'm so glad I BACKED UP MY REGISTRY, because after I deleted the whole HKLM keys and turned my machine into a brick, the XYZ Registry Backup software automatically launched itself on reboot and rebuilt my screwed-up registry AUTOMATICALLY.  It was AMAZING!"

Anyways.  That's my (internal) reaction when someone says "back up your registry".  I have a better idea.  How about, you back up your DATA and get ready to TURN YOUR COMPUTER INTO A BRICK.  It's WAY more likely to happen and the backed-up data is going to serve you a lot better when you reinstall windows.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:52 PM

You may benefit from doing a little reading....

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation & Upgrade Tutorials

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 hazelludlow

hazelludlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:32 PM

okay, folks...got an iso, transfer to usb...boot from usb...and we're here: Windows 7..Install now..What to know..Repair...Repair gets me "This Version of system Recovery Options is not compatible...

i gather i should just Install now?

thank you all very much for this...

#12 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:59 PM

Exactly what ISO/version of Win7 did you use.  Where did you get it?

Also, in case this is helpful:

https://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/328622-version-system-recovery-options-not-compatible.html

Edited by hamluis, 25 May 2017 - 05:06 PM.

#13 hazelludlow

hazelludlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:29 PM

hey, aaron...thank you very much...Windows 7 Home Version Premium...X64...a torrent from a German site...list of different versions, but was directed towards an exact number...(https://www.pcsteps.com/45-download-windows-7-iso-legally-free-digital-river/)

i created a System Repair disc at my pop's place from his Windows 7, but found out he has business...i have an USB drive from long ago when i created a system repair on it...HP Recovery Manager:  tried the System Restore and three different points, and got the file system corruption box...no go

this new ISO USB is the closest i have come to getting anywhere...im ready to just wipe it and start anew...

h

#14 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

I recommend holding off on that New Install if there is going to be consequences as there are several avenues that could be explored before your "nuclear option" is necessary.

First I don't trust your torrent/source.  Second I want to know why German, which seems weird to me.  Too much weirdness.  From there I think about whether or not your original installation was 32 or 64 bit, and whether or not it was Win7 Premium.  Pretty sure that an OEM or Retail version is more "one size fits all".  Once you start getting into the specialized areas (premium vs. pro vs. etc... vs. etc...) that is where MS has Windows choke (for no good, technical reason).  If it were me, I'd find an OEM version, the most commonly downloaded version I could find from the most commonly used download site I could find, and I'd use Rufus to make my bootable USB drive.

The link I posted was intended to provoke you into exploring whether or not this "UEFI" business might be the reason why your USB install drive won't repair your original O/S.  I'm kind of weak on the whole UEFI thing, but I've run into it before and you switch something in BIOS and suddenly things start working.

What do you lose if you do a New Install?  One option is to make a new partition, do a new install on that new partition and them manually migrate the data from the old partition to the new.  I did this a few weeks ago, although there was problems with it.  But I wanted to mention it in case you were thinking about simply formatting the whole drive and starting fresh.

Which isn't always such a bad idea.  Fresh installs run much better than old installations that have been around for a year or more.  It's like the O/S gets arthritis or something.  It works, but it's creaky and cranky.

Edited by hamluis, 25 May 2017 - 05:05 PM.

#15 hazelludlow

hazelludlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:09 PM

It is Windows 7 Home Premium x64...a HP Pavilion...UEFI avenue doesnt relate...i dont mind doing a fresh install...which i am attempting, but a road block...i am at Where do you want to install windows, and i cannot install it in any of the drives or partitions...at this point, i just want a wipe and deal with its crankiness...it was gettting full anyways...

seems though, i cannot even get a reinstall to work...

h

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users