Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best PC system tools?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 gspot89

gspot89

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

Hey, can anyone help me out wit some advice. what are some must have programs for performance/tweaks/ optimization etc.

I want to know what the most usefull programs are out there. If anyone can suggest, would be very much appreciated. thanks

Edited by hamluis, 21 May 2017 - 11:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:41 AM

What are you looking for in this type of software?

#3 etiennehb

etiennehb

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

CCleaner is a good one, always installed it on customers PC.

#4 theeye23

theeye23

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:50 PM

For me, CCleaner is enough for my frequent maintenance. I also advised it to my client's PC.

Or you can also try System mechanic.

#5 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:14 AM

System Mechanic is a paid solution, I'd go with the free version of Ccleaner any day.

As for System Mechanic, someone has had problems with it in this thread here.  Caution is advised I think.

Aside from Ccleaner and the built-in Windows tools, I generally avoid anything that claims to "optimise" or "tune up" my system ... there are a lot of so-called 'tools' out there that actually do more harm than good.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#6 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:09 AM

Tried System Mechanic and for me I could do the same thing with Glary Utilities Free.Just watch for pup on installation.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:16 AM

Auslogics and Wise have both registry cleaners (use only if/when advised by a guru for a specific item) and disk defraggers, the defraggers can be run on conventional platter-driven hard-drives maybe once or twice monthly, just prior to any major backup routine.
And, as posted earlier, avoid anything promising optimization, speeder-upper, slimmer-trimmer, and so on.  Such programs often will have one reaching either for an OS image to restore or for the Windows install DVD. 

Edited by RolandJS, 01 June 2017 - 07:04 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:38 AM

I use a few reg cleaners,but I have backups and restore points are enabled.I also try a lot of software and sometimes my uninstaller may miss a few things.Boot speed increase is marginally better,but that's it.In my opinion it is not really necessary to clean your registry.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:06 PM

+1 badtoad, agreed, OP's better off not running registry cleaners in this situation.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#10 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:09 AM

Registry Cleaners, huh? A thread on the unlimited universe of ALL the wonderful tools and softwares that a well-informed Tech could use, and the only thing people want to talk about are registry cleaners.  Shame!  You people should feel SHAME!  I heap shame upon you people.  If this were a village I would round up all the village elders, and the children and the washer-women and start passing out rocks to use in order to DRIVE you from the village.  And DON'T COME BACK until you rid yourselves of your deviant and degenerate thoughts and ideas.

About registry cleaners.  Lol.

Anyways I'm going to plug XXClone.  Does "Logical Cloning" which means that instead of sector-for-sector cloning, instead it does logical cloning, which means that you can clone a 250 Gbyte HD to a 500 Gbyte HD, or a 120 Gbyte HD, as long as there is space for the data, and it will work just fine.  Usually standard cloning means you have to transfer a 250 Gbyte HD to either another 250 Gbyte HD, or at least a 250 Gbyte partition.  XX Clone is great for when you need to upgrade a client's HD from one that is too small to a larger one.  The clone is so perfect that if you have both HD's in the machine at boot, you XXClone changes the desktop background to something different so you will know for sure you booted to the "target" clone and not the "source".

As an aside, I think there should be a special area in every inpatient mental health unit in the country where Techs who believe in registry cleaners are sent. Electroshock therapy, thumbscrews and that thing they used to use in medieval times to break your vertebrae are all part of the "treatment" you would get there.

Also I like "Autoruns"  It's a real fast way to see what's loading at boot.  You can "exclude" all the microsoft entries and only see the 3rd party entries and Autoruns will color-code those entries that are "verified" and also which ones have a registry entry that points to a system file that does not exist.  Such as when an AV software or tool has deleted a file for being malicious but the registry entry that points to it is still there.

And I like "Treesize Pro" for looking at the data on a Hard Drive in order to determine how full it is, and where most of the data is.  Example if 50% of your data is in the "video" folder, that's normal.  If 30% of your data is in the ...\Temp file, you should probably take a look at what's there, and why it's there.

Lol, "registry cleaners".  You people crack me up.  Rub-a-dub-dub, an idiot in the tub, running a registry cleaner while taking a bath.  OOPS!  Mr. Noo B. Tech just dropped his laptop in the WATER!!  OH NOES@!!!!!!    BxxxzzzzZZZZZTTTTTZZZZzzzzzZZZZTTTT!!1  

sniff, sniff.  What's that smell?  ON NOES !! He BURNED HISSELF!!! OWCHIES!!!!!!!

Let's run some "registry cleaners" on the area of his 3rd degree burns, and see if that fixes him.  Lol.  Registry Cleaners.  You people crack me up.

Hmm.  Time to trot out some more credientials.  Oh yeah, what's that really good one I like...

Here's one.  "NTLite".  That's a beautiful software.  It allows you to load a standard ISO file of a windows installation disk (windows 7, or 8) and then custom-configure it BEFORE the install, so that all the various settings and stuff are done, example if you don't like Windows Media Player, you can turn it off BEFORE the install so it's not there after the installation is complete.  Services you want to disable, or drivers you want to slipstream, or a product key you want automatically entered, or if you want to do an "unattended" install where you boot to the USB drive, push a couple buttons, go get a coke and come back 20 minutes later and the whole O/S is installed from start to finish and you didn't have to push a SINGLE BUTTON.

Or, you degenerate pervs can trade stories about how EXCITING it is to run REGISTRY CLEANERS.  Here's my guilty secret:  Sometimes when I'm lonely and my wife isn't around, I close all the blinds and turn off all the lights and take off all my clothes down to my tighty whities and then, using only one hand, I run a REGISTRY CLEANER on my computer.

There.  I think I've made my point.  You can learn how to do real computer repair, something substantive, something constructive, or you can play with your registry cleaners.  Think I've pretty much made my opinion known, not on the registry cleaners I mean they're delivering a product to a certain kind of person, it's not the software it's the people that use it that have, and are, the problem.  Worst of all are the people that encourage less informed people to use them, or at least try to "shade" around the edges of their (lack of) respectability.  You don't need some authoritative source (Microsoft, some Admin on some forum somewhere) to be the "end all" "be all" and if that authority uses weasel language that doesn't make the fact that you are a weasel acceptable.  Weasels, stupid people, the mentally ill, the too-young-to-know-any-better, the idiots, the people that believe in astrology and that idiot that burned his private parts by dropping a computer in the tub with him, all share the common denominator of entertaining any other opinion besides the fact that registry cleaners are a waste of time, and so are the people that use them.

#11 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:12 AM

I watched a very smart guy on YouTube call Ccleaner useless.Everyone has an opinion. 

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:40 PM

I've carefully, selectively, cautiously, used Auslogics and Wise registry & disk cleaners, disk defraggers for many years, with no ill effects at all.  Certain utilities carefully, selectively, cautiously used are good tools.  Carelessness, shotgunning, caution thrown to the winds, are hallmarks of end-users momentarily forgetting how to use certain utilities.  Even some hardware, software, Windows, etc. forums' experts will walk an end-user using certain utilities; utilities that if not used carefully, if not used cautiously. if not used selectively, etc., can be very caustic, very earth-scorching, very destructive.  Expert or power-user leadership and end-user following instructions -- is one key to success.

Edited by RolandJS, 02 June 2017 - 03:52 PM.

#13 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

Well said RolandJS.Any mention of this software stirs up peoples emotions.

#14 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,688 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

Really, you should avoid anything that has adjectives in the description or title like: speed up, tune, optimize, enhance, boost, fix errors, increase this, increase that. No matter how flashy the graphics look or how many customer testimonials are posted.

As for registry cleaners heres MS own take on them:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2563254/microsoft-support-policy-for-the-use-of-registry-cleaning-utilities

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#15 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:02 PM

Should we mention Process Lasso? Something that actually works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users