Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access BIOS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stevkaprel

stevkaprel

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

I have a HP Compaq 6000 SF running Win 7.  After setting up Win xp on dual boot beside Win 7 and the usual loss of bootsector issue -- well, one thing led to another, and in the end I was unable to boot into either one and after booting up I get only "invalid boot.ini file."  I decided that what got me into this jam was that my onboard CD drive was throwing curve balls.  (By the way, I previously found out that the computer was incapable of booting from a USB.)  So I bought an exterior USB CD drive as a possible fix.  When I went on the computer to try it out I found that I could not get into BIOS to change boot priority.  I repeatedly tried to either specify boot priority (F9) or do it in setup (F12) during the brief instant when the logo appears but kept going straight to "invalid boot.ini".  I then used the "pause" button to give me a chance to use F9 or F12 and the system did pause.  However, F9 or F12 was still taking me right to "invalid boot.ini file."  I'm at my wit's end.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:12 AM

Power on the computer and at the same time start tapping Esc. Do you get a menu screen? I find it hard to believe your HP cannot boot from a USB. I have a compaq laptop that originally came with Vista that boots fine from a USB. What program did you use to create the bootable USB flash drive? 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/I-can-t-boot-my-HP-Compaq-6000-Pro-SFF-from-USB/td-p/5363628

#3 stevkaprel

stevkaprel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:42 PM

I've solved the immediate problem by replacing the computer battery.  Regarding the USB, it does seem strange because BIOS seems to pretend that it can boot that way.  I made the USB with Rufus.  I'm going to try out that USB CD drive now with the Win 7 installation disc/repair and will report.

Edited by stevkaprel, 21 May 2017 - 01:43 PM.

#4 stevkaprel

stevkaprel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

Happy to report I have successfully booted back into Windows 7.  Since the little USB CD did the trick, I won't worry about the lack of USB  for the time being.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users