Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows told me to free space by deleting "windows.old" I'm f***ed.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 CypressAx

CypressAx

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:21 AM

So, let me give you a heartfelt story first, just so you can understand the urgency of my problem.

I baught this new laptop as a birthday gift for myself, but it wasn't entirely funded by me. I was my intention to pay for it in full, but a sale came up, and most of my family already knew how much I've wanted an upgrade. Some of my family members pitched in some of their cash, and helped me pay it off before the sale ended. My birthday is June 2nd, the sale would've ended on May 22nd, i baught it May 12th. My parents let me open it early, sine i did technically buy it myself. It was the best 1 week of my life.

Not even a few days ago, Windows 10 updated my computer to the new creators update. Since then, nothing out of the ordinary has occurred. But, i did notice that the new update filled my SSD right on up. I tried to run steam and it wouldn't run because there wasn't enough space to update it. So, i went on a journey to free up space.

I then recalled seeing a message BY MICROSOFT that said something like, "Running low on storage? Delete previous versions of windows to free some space up!" I listened. I used CCleaner to get rid of the "windows.old" file, because it's old... right? Yeah i know... i'm stupid.

The outcome was far from positive. After CCleaner finished, i couldn't run any apps. I said to myself, "I probably need to restart my computer."And so i did.

But, I got my ASUS logo, and a circle of dots, spinning... endlessly. I said, "probably just taking a while because i just did a bulk thing" but then it was taking longer, and i got really worried. I force restarted only to run into the same problem a million times over again. Nothing I've seen online has helped me. And i swear to you, I've been all over the web looking for solutions. If you're going to help, please don't go looking for information in the top 4 pages of any keywords related to this problem, i'm certain I've done it.

TL;DR: used ccleaner to delete windows.old after creators update, pc wont boot.

Specifications:

ASUS ROG GL753VE

GeForce GTX 1050Ti

Intel Core i7-7700HQ

1TB STATA HDD

126GB STATA3 SSD

Windows 10

(any additional information you need, ask)

p.s.

i've gone from a really bleepty laptop to a pretty nice one, and it made me very happy when i had it. Now that i don't have it, i'm pretty much depressed. excuse my use of emotion on a forum post, but i just want people to know, i really need a fix.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:19 AM

I dont think deleting "Old Windows " would be the issue , done it a hundred times.

More likely the New Updates.

I would of use Windows Features "Disk Cleanup " to remove old files.

Im not up with win10 and the auto updates issues , or will i google it , apart from what ive read within BC.

But an option could be System Restore or a  Factory Reset being a new Laptop if viable.

And i then dont know if the same issue may arise when the Updates start again ?

If i see anything around the traps i will add further , yet some BC Expert will post sooner.  

A Quick Google ....I Know ? ..

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/26/stop_downloading_win10_creators_update/

If it was an Option i would have waited before installing.

Edited by Havachat, 21 May 2017 - 05:25 AM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:42 AM

Deleting Windows.old will not create the problem(s) you're having, and neither will CCleaner's disk cleanup option. Windows.old is automatically deleted by Windows itself when the time has expired on the "roll back to previous build" feature, which I think is 10 or 14 days after each major (as in Version change) update.

If you do not have a backup drive the first thing you need to do is to acquire one and take regular backups.  File History is fine for user data files but either Windows' own system image backup or something like Macrium Reflect or similar for full system image backups.  When situations like this occur they're virtually the only way you're going to recover your system to it's "pre-hosed" state.

Were I you, I would make sure that I've snagged any of my user data from the machine then do a fresh install of Windows 10 using a fresh copy of the Windows 10 ISO file that you download using the Media Creation Tool that's found on the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page.

Given how new this machine is I would imagine there can't be massive volumes of user data on it yet unless you were to have copied it over from elsewhere, in which case you still have the source media for those files.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:00 AM

Don't use Ccleaner to delete Windows.old after you have updated to the Creators Build as it may brick your machine. Only use Windows built in Disk Cleanup.

https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=48279#entry283361

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:51 AM

The thing being that CCleaner won't remove any of that stuff, as it's not considered "crap" so long as it exists.

I have never, ever had CCleaner remove this.  Windows does, and I don't need to use Disk Cleanup to make it happen.  It's a part of what gets done when the "Go back to a previous build" period comes to a close.

Also note that those warnings deal with registry cleaning.  The position of "Bleeping Computer" as an entity has consistently been that registry cleaners should not be used.  This doesn't mean that CCleaner cannot be used, just don't use the registry cleaning feature.  I've been using CCleaner for decades now and haven't used the registry cleaner since I became convinced it really doesn't help anything and virtually every serious technical article on this issue supports that view.  All it might do is hurt.

Edited by britechguy, 21 May 2017 - 10:57 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:30 AM

The windows.old in CCleaner is in the Advanced Section, and has nothing to do with the registry cleaning part of CCleaner (so I'm not sure why you felt the need to mention it in your post)

Not everyone has the ''up to minute knowledge'' that you have, and loads of people clean things using CCleaner as they have no other way of knowing how to remove things because they don't hang around forums like this.

It was a ''heads up'' for other CCleaner users who have the Creators Update and are members of this forum and want to get rid of Windows.old.

Up until before Creators build CCleaner removal of win.old worked.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:37 AM

I'll take Brian's post a step further.  Along with registry cleaners Bleeping Computer does not recommend the use of registry cleaner or Optimization software.

The following was originally posted by Quietman7, one of our Global Moderator.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:44 AM

The windows.old in CCleaner is in the Advanced Section, and has nothing to do with the registry cleaning part of CCleaner (so I'm not sure why you felt the need to mention it in your post)

Not everyone has the ''up to minute knowledge'' that you have, and loads of people clean things using CCleaner as they have no other way of knowing how to remove things because they don't hang around forums like this.

It was a ''heads up'' for other CCleaner users who have the Creators Update and are members of this forum and want to get rid of Windows.old.

Up until before Creators build CCleaner removal of win.old worked.

Then you show me where the Windows.old part is in "Advanced," because I sure can't find it.

CCleaner does not remove Windows.old.  It did not remove Windows.old after I installed Version 1703 on my machine.  I cannot find an option that would do that, period.

Anyone using CCleaner should always be using the most recent version, and the most recent version is not problematic with regard to disk cleaning.  It does no good to attribute the problem described to something that has a zero (or so close as to be indistinguishable from zero) chance of having caused it.  You can hand nuke Windows.old and it will not cause the problem described.

~ Mark Twain

#9 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:02 PM

In the Advanced section the actual wording for it is Old Windows Installation

Pinned warning thread

https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=48181

Attached Files

• Attached File  bc.PNG   35.52KB   0 downloads

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

This must be a "Pro" option, as I have double checked that I have the latest version of "Home - Free" installed and it is not present there.

If this is causing an issue it has to be because CCleaner is deleting something in addition to the Windows.old folder because you can nuke this by hand and not have any difficulty booting Windows (or at least that's been the case prior to Creators Update, and I'd have to think it's still the case if disk cleanup can remove it without issues).  It has no role in the currently active installation when it's present and it's only present after a major update (change of version, in this case 1607 to 1703) and will only remain for a limited time.

I'd love to know what the underlying cause of this error, which I'll grant you could be caused by CCleaner is, because it simply can't be the absence of the Windows.old folder in and of itself.

~ Mark Twain

#11 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:19 PM

It is not a Pro option, it is in the free version also.

Perhaps you don't see it because you don't have a windows.old folder.

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,716 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:20 PM

The 126GB SSD should hold your OS and other installs such as office programs. I'm not a gamer but if you are maybe a lot of install games could be a factor in your case.

--- Is it possible the SSD is also being used for whatever else you do?

Use the 1TB drive for whatever else you are doing.

I believe Brian's recommendation to do a fresh install is your best option.

I'd like to add that when you get an error message, please record it exactly to help us understand it better

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:26 PM

It is not a Pro option, it is in the free version also.

Perhaps you don't see it because you don't have a windows.old folder.

You are almost certainly correct, as I'd expect CCleaner to be "context sensitive" on this particular cleaning setting.

I did my upgrade to Creators Update on the first day it came out because I knew that eventually I'd have clients calling about same, so I wanted to get a jump on seeing "what's what" even if that put me on the "bleeding edge" of the update.   It was remarkably smooth, both in the doing and afterward.

~ Mark Twain

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:30 PM

The 126GB SSD should hold your OS and other installs such as office programs. I'm not a gamer but if you are maybe a lot of install games could be a factor in your case.

--- Is it possible the SSD is also being used for whatever else you do?

Use the 1TB drive for whatever else you are doing.

I believe Brian's recommendation to do a fresh install is your best option.

I'd like to add that when you get an error message, please record it exactly to help us understand it better

I have been running a 125 gb SSD for my C: drive of Windows 10 for a couple of years. It never gets beyond about 55 gb full.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,716 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:28 PM

"I have been running a 125 gb SSD for my C: drive of Windows 10 for a couple of years. It never gets beyond about 55 gb full."

Thanks Rocky. that's good to know, I'm not used to using a drive only for Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users