Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opera question.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kelly2

kelly2

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:01 AM

I've just uninstalled Opera version 45.0.2552.812.   reason being it took over certain functions of my laptop that I wasn't expecting and didn't appreciate, like opening my desktop bookmarks which I prefer IE to open, since I didn't notice any options about this when I originally downloaded Opera I would like to avoid this from happening again before I download Opera once again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 campuscodi

campuscodi

• Contributing Editor
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:42 AM

What are you referring to when saying "desktop bookmarks?" Are they HTML files stored on your desktop? I'm sure there's an option to change those back to IE

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:56 AM

Always be opened in the default browser if not provided otherwise in the link settings.
examples:
Open with default browser:
URL/Target:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/647248/opera-question/

Open wit Chrome
URL/Target

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/647248/opera-question/

Edited by zainmax, 21 May 2017 - 06:57 AM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,500 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:06 AM

Yep, this sounds like Opera was set as the default browser during installation, which every browser I know of tries to do and asks about during installation.  It's sometimes easy to miss this if it's in a collection of checkboxes or if you get into the "answer in the affirmative" groove without carefully watching what you're saying yes to.

If you accidentally change your default browser you can change it back to whichever one you'd like that's installed on your system.  The exact way of doing this varies by what version of Windows you're running (or other OS you're running).

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 kelly2

kelly2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:42 PM

What are you referring to when saying "desktop bookmarks?" Are they HTML files stored on your desktop? I'm sure there's an option to change those back to IE

Yes I make desktop shortcuts for my frequently used websites. I'm hoping to find a way of changing it back whenever needed.

#6 kelly2

kelly2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:50 PM

Always be opened in the default browser if not provided otherwise in the link settings.
examples:
Open with default browser:
URL/Target:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/647248/opera-question/

Open wit Chrome
URL/Target

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/647248/opera-question/

Thank you Zain.. :)

#7 kelly2

kelly2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:10 PM

Yep, this sounds like Opera was set as the default browser during installation, which every browser I know of tries to do and asks about during installation.  It's sometimes easy to miss this if it's in a collection of checkboxes or if you get into the "answer in the affirmative" groove without carefully watching what you're saying yes to.

If you accidentally change your default browser you can change it back to whichever one you'd like that's installed on your system.  The exact way of doing this varies by what version of Windows you're running (or other OS you're running).

They usually do make it obvious but this time it seemed a little sneaky :rolleyes: I have windows 8.1 and my laptop is 64 bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users