Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taking 'ownership' questions.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tkmops

tkmops

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:15 PM

I've been told by my Trend Micro Antivirus tech to 'take ownership' of my 'C' drive, but it's been over a week, and I can't get a response to my question. When I right click my 'C' drive, go to 'properties', then 'security', then 'Advanced', then 'owner', then 'Edit', there's two options in the 'Change owner to' box.. Tod(Tod-PC\Tod) and Administrators(Tod-PC\Administrators). What is the difference between between these two? I normally sign on with my standard user account 'Tod'(not an administrator account). Which account should I click in the 'Change owner to' box? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:11 AM

"Tod" is the current Administrator that is logged in.  If "Tod" owns the C: drive then Tod is the only owner.  "Administrators" means ALL Administrator accounts, even future ones, will have ownership privileges.

I doubt it's going to be as simple as that, as there are going to be inherited permissions and special permissions and it's a big hairy mess.  I'm also wondering about your official Trend Micro Antivirus Tech.  That sounds very impressive.  Are you paying this lofty person to give you this grand, and yet quite limited advice?  I wonder who the owner is now, why it needs to change and what changing it is going to do for you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:45 AM

My experience with permissions...

I deem it better to assign full permissions to the Administrator group, rather than assign them to Louis.  Actually...since I am the sole user of my systems, I give full permissions to "Everyone" so that whenever I login, there is no doubt.

You say that you employ a non-Administrator account (recommended by many)...if this account does not have full Administrator privileges, it will not be able to perform Administrator functions (such as taking ownership).

I believe that Windows automatically creates the person's name as the recipient of full permissions when Windows is initially set up.

Louis

#4 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:53 PM

My experience with permissions...

I deem it better to assign full permissions to the Administrator group, rather than assign them to Louis.  Actually...since I am the sole user of my systems, I give full permissions to "Everyone" so that whenever I login, there is no doubt.

You say that you employ a non-Administrator account (recommended by many)...if this account does not have full Administrator privileges, it will not be able to perform Administrator functions (such as taking ownership).

I believe that Windows automatically creates the person's name as the recipient of full permissions when Windows is initially set up.

Louis

FWIW I agree with all of this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users