Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GetDataBack Error 23 vs Error 21

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 michaeliakovidis

michaeliakovidis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:53 PM

Hi there,

I moved my laptop (Lenovo W510 bought 2011) on another place (a chair) for my kid to watch some children songs. After 20 min I came to see a black screen that stated there is no bootable device found.

I called my friend who was a former PC technician and recommended I run GetDataBack on my disk (500 GB) while I connected it through an external mount to my wife's laptop and try to transfer all files that it should recover to her disk (1 TB).

GetDataBack appears to run 4 different escalating levels of search. It went through L1 and L2 within 2 hours each without finding any files, MFTs, indexes etc.

L3 took 72 hours to complete and found lots error 23 especially at the begining and end of searches. In this case for sectors 0-976773165, most of errors and delay was in 0-9000000 and 975000000-end. It found around 12000 files, 13000 MFTs, 2000 indexes when I last checked its progress towards  the end.

Then during a night it switched to L10 (probably the last level) and started searching again for file systems. It is now the 5th day on L10 and has not found anything yet apart from errors 21. It is still on 0% ( around 2500000 out of 976773165 sectors and has not discovered anything. On L3 at this point it had found some files at least and all the errors were 23. Now L10 does not seem to find anything and everything appears as Error 21.

Could someone explain the difference between Error 23 and Error 21 and should I continue with the search? The time remaining is constantly increasing and is at an astronomical value of 42000 hours now.

Is there anything else I can do? I have some files in that disk that I do not have copies for them since they were recent, but very important.

Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 21 May 2017 - 11:49 AM.
Moved from External Hardware to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:15 PM

Personally I would stop the scan to avoid additional stress on the drive. This sound like a hardware issue with the drive and no software will retrieve the data. If the data is very important to you consult a professional recovery service with clean room access. This is not cheap but most offer free quotes. Drivesavers is one of the better services.

https://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

https://www.runtime.org/howto_datarecovery.pdf

If you get only an occasional bad sector message, but the scan is otherwise progressing, choose "Ignore" in the warning windows and let the scan finish. But if you receive a lot of read error messages, or the scan seems to stall or is taking forever, your best bet is to stop what you are doing and to make an Image of your damaged drive first. By making an Image you will reduce the stress on the drive (which if physically damaged can fail at any moment). Once you have created the Image you can perform the data recovery for the Image instead of the drive - just select the Image you made in Step 1 of GetDataBack (Image Files). You can use GetDataBack to make an Image, the only other thing you'll need is enough space on another drive to store the Image to. Instructions on how to create an Image are on our website at http://www.runtime.org/gdbimage.htm.

Edit: You can try making an image of the drive and work on it but from your post it does not look too promising.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 May 2017 - 07:19 PM.

#3 michaeliakovidis

michaeliakovidis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

Dear John,

Thank you very much for your advice. I stopped the search and will now look for data recovery services here in UK. My friend tried to make an image of the disk even before we started the recovering process, but without success.

Best Wishes,

Michael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users