Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start Up.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bmhc86

bmhc86

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:52 PM

Hi,
I am relatively computer illiterate and I seem to have a big problem. I must have a virus. My computer was working fine yesterday, but when I tried it today it started to boot up but then stopped at the blue Windows XP page. The little light bars at the top and bottom are not moving and it will sit this way for ever. The mouse will move, but clicking does nothing. Cntrl + Alt + Del does nothing, and I am at a loss.
I don't have a clue what to do. Could some one please help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:19 AM

Do you have a restore disk for your system or a legitimate copy of the WindowsXP installation CD?

You could try booting to the recovery console to see if you can fix it there - or you can do a system restore to fix it up (assuming this isn't a hardware failure).

If it is a hardware failure, then the system restore would most likely fail - and then we'd have to start troubleshooting the hardware problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:40 AM

Agreed.

I think the simplest thing would just be to repar the os. This is a link that makes very easy to understand then.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Repair-Windows-XP-t138.html
everyday is a gift

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:34 PM

What you need to do is you need to boot clean. Or in other words you need to start up in safe mode. You can do this by pushing f8 from safe mode you should be able to scan with your virus software... or if you don't have any, see if you can start up in safe mode with network support. A simple fix from safe mode is to try to go to system restore. This is accessible under your start button, click on all programs, go to accessories, go to system tools, and it should be the last option. Go back to the last day it was working, if the system does not restore from that date, go back further.

Right now, you probably have all your information, and if it was a hardware failure, you would not have past POST. So I'm guessing software or registry. Both of which can be fixed by doing a system restore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users