Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Posting Photos to Message Board.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hunnybunny

hunnybunny

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:16 PM

I'd like to upload photos on PC desktop to a message board forum - should I use a hosting site before doing this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:46 PM

Your query is really impossible to answer.

Most, including this very forum, give a user a set amount of space for attachments/inline photos (regardless of specific media type, actually).  Some forums here allow photos as attachments, others don't, and if you're dealing with any message board/mailing list/forum that does not permit attachments then your only choice is to put the media on a hosting site and link to it.  When you're in the advanced editing for this very forum you see a small icon on the second row of icons that looks like a photograph that will allow you imbed remotely hosted images in your message.

I am of the mind that if you are on a message board/mailing list/forum that allows attachments, and the attachment is really central to the message you're creating and your message would not make sense (or nearly as much sense) if the attachment were not there then you should attach it.  This keeps it tightly bound to your message and it no longer depends upon an external storage source that may or may not be there at some unforeseen point in the future.

Otherwise it's entirely your choice.   Actually it's entirely your choice as I was just offering my perspective on when I attach "on site" versus when I do not.  Also, if where you're participating has an online archive having the media attached makes it a part of the permanent archive for as long as that online archive exists.  Hosted media can and does often go away if you delete the account where it's hosted or the hosting entity goes away for any reason.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:36 PM

It would be best to host your pics at either your own site or a picture hosting site.
... you can use photobucket or similar.
That will insure that your pics remain.

Edited by Martel, 21 May 2017 - 10:29 AM.

#4 hunnybunny

hunnybunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:10 AM

Appreciate your responses Britechguy & Martel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users