Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New installed memory running at higher latency than supposed to

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sythus

sythus

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:32 AM

I recently installed new ram: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231209

The ram is rated for 4-4-4-12, but when I installed it, the software 'Speccy' shows that it is actually running at 5-5-5-15.

I'm wondering why it is running at this higher rate, and how to make it run at the rated spec instead. Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:48 AM

Go to BIOS and adjust memory timings.

#3 sythus

sythus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:58 AM

Is there an official guide to doing so? I've never adjusted memory timings in the BIOS, so I don't want to just go in there and guess.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:29 PM

It just depends on what BIOS and what motherboard, so there is no official guide on how to adjust on that motherboard. Motherboard manual may help.

Also speed difference between specified timings and current timings is negligible.

#5 sythus

sythus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:38 PM

OK, I will look for the motherboard manual. I agree, the timings are pretty close to the rated spec either way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users