Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Variety of BSODs for weeks after installing extra RAM, but not in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 airborneleaf

airborneleaf

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:18 AM

Windows 7

x64

AMD FX 4100

NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P

Corsair CX 430

Corsair 4GB XMS3 PC3-12800 1600MHz

A few weeks ago I installed a second stick of RAM, and it was successfully detected in the system window. It's around that time that I started getting constant BSODs with a variety of stop codes. The only minidumps I have are two from a week ago because no more are being created for some reason, and it's the same for after I changed it to full memory dump. There are no memory.dmps.

Yesterday I tried uninstalling the new RAM stick a couple times to see if that helped, but after a couple tries the PC would no longer turn on with the second stick installed. It only comes on when only the first stick is in. There is no visible damage to the stick or the slot.

After this I tried running it in safe mode, and after a few hours I haven't had any BSODs. But I don't know what to do from here.

I also tried memory diagnostic, but there was nothing in the event viewer afterwards. I tried resetting the BIOS/CMOS to default but that seems to have done nothing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,988 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:25 AM

Greetings, airborneleaf, and :welcome: to BleepingComputer's Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support forum!

Please follow these BSOD posting instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. Please DO NOT create a new topic — there is no need to do so.

Thank you.

Regards,
bwv848

Useful information!
Please only use the ZIP compression format, do not use 7z, RAR, etc.!!!

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 airborneleaf

airborneleaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:16 PM

I can't follow those instructions. After step one it's just completely unclear to me. Can't I just attach a compressed zip folder with the minidumps inside?

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:26 PM

Please don't send me the minidumps directly.

Just run the sysnativebsodcollectionapp.exe executable that you downloaded in step one. When it's finished its job, it will create a zipped folder in your Documents folder (%UserProfile%\Documents). Windows Explorer should open and highlight the zipped folder - SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip. Attach that ZIP file in your next reply. When you've finished please provide answers for the following:

· OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ?
· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ?
· What was original installed OS on system?
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)?
· Age of system (hardware)
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS?

· CPU
· Video Card
· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop)
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop)

· System Manufacturer
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom)

· Laptop or Desktop?

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 airborneleaf

airborneleaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:38 PM

Windows 7

x64

AMD FX 4100

NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P

Corsair CX 430

Corsair 4GB XMS3 PC3-12800 1600MHz

I should note that after starting this topic, I reset to factory settings hoping to just wipe everything clean and start new. It was fine for a day, but whenever I was on games sometimes it would still BSOD. It was always the same one, 0x000000D1 IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. It was like this for a day or two until I started getting other BSODs either just on the desktop or during booting up from a BSOD. Now its at the point that I'm getting a BSOD during or shortly after starting up a game, every time. Every time it's a BSOD during a game, it's that same D1 one.

I also got a few USB related BSODs it seems too, according to someone I talked to about it.

Attached Files

#6 airborneleaf

airborneleaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:43 PM

Just to update, it's bluescreening frequently again now, even when I'm not on any games.

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:14 PM

Hi, airborneleaf,

Since the BSODs occurred after a new stick of RAM, we'll approach your issue(s) as hardware-related (even some dumps agree with me!). Could you please reseat your current stick of RAM and clean out the slot? (When you're in the case, please also clean out any dust and move your graphics card to another slot, as some dumps blamed your graphics driver.) Is there any visible damage to your USB slots?

Some things to get us started:

• start monitoring your hardware temperatures with HWMonitor
  • run MemTest86 (WITHOUT the plus) for a minimum of eight passes. An excellent guide is available here if you need help.
  • run Seagate SeaTools for Windows. Test all your drives with the S.M.A.R.T. and Long Generic tests.
  • update your BIOS (could be risky in your case)
  • update all your drivers from your motherboard/manufacturer's website
  • run Prime95 to stress your CPU, RAM, etc. and reveal problems (read the details in the link)
  • run these remaining hardware diagnostics

Also, please reinstall your NVIDIA graphics driver. When doing so, please perform a Custom Installation, as demonstrated below:

3SKjXsp.jpg

Also, when you click Next, make sure you only install the Graphics Driver (and the PhysX System Software if you're a gamer). Also, check Perform a clean installation (see below):

Warning! Please read this first.
PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL ANY 3D DRIVERS!!! I've seen them cause odd issues before.

1bTMUDx.jpg

#8 airborneleaf

airborneleaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:48 AM

Just finished the first memtest. So I should do 7 more? This one says at the bottom no errors but I'll be taking a picture of each one just in case.

Is there nothing else I should do each time, other than reboot?

Edited by airborneleaf, 27 May 2017 - 01:24 PM.

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:07 PM

No, you don't need to run it for seven more times. I only wanted you to run it for eight passes...

Memtest-7-passes.jpg

#10 airborneleaf

airborneleaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:04 PM

Same result it seems

Attached Files

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

Great! Continue with my other suggestions.

#12 airborneleaf

airborneleaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:45 PM

Doing the long generic test. Should it only be the one option in the detected drives? I only have the one with a check box.

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:56 PM

Could you please elaborate on your question? :) From the uploaded reports, you have only one drive, which I presume that Windows is installed on.

#14 airborneleaf

airborneleaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

Yeah I just didn't know if I was supposed to have more drives or whatever listed to select to run the tests on. But if I'm only supposed to have the one, it's fine.

I've already done the first test and the long test is nearly done. Anything I should do with it when it finishes?

#15 airborneleaf

airborneleaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

Prime95 has been going for nearly 7 hours. All the sections from Main Thread to Worker 4 all have passes throughout them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users