Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 install freezes at "installing devices" .

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 firsttaff

firsttaff

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:03 AM

Hello 

I am trying to do a fresh install of windows 7 on my AMD desktop PC which was previously running xp , I have tried several times with different copies of "7"disk  but always with the same result , all goes well up to the "Installing Devices "window and then it freezes at 44%  .

the motherboard is a KN1 SLI Lite , Phoenix CMOS  set up utility  ,   I have the pc configured to run the dvd drive as boot . 

I have searched online and here and I removed all usb devices , I had 16gb of memory so took out 8 gb , no change 

I am competent to follow any clear instructions you could think might help me, I did read about altering things with Command prompt  so if I need to do that could you make your instructions as clear as possible please .

thank you in advance 

regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,824 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:30 AM

Try the following. Boot the Windows 7 install disk. At Screen 5 in the below guide that asks for language press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt and type the following commands.

diskpart              Opens a diskpart command prompt

list disk

select disk X      Where X is the disk number associated with the drive you will be installing Windows to. This is normally 0 if you have one disk.

clean                   Removes all existing partitions and sets the drive up for a clean install

exit                      exits diskpart

exit                      exits command prompt

Continue with the clean install. See this guide. You will not need to delete any partitions as they have already been deleted using the clean command.

https://www.lifewire.com/g00/how-to-clean-install-windows-7-2624917

#3 firsttaff

firsttaff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

Hello 

firstly thank you for your reply 

regrettably after following  your instructions to the letter the problem remains , however it now goes up to 45%  before it freezes , i have tried 3 times wit the same result (carrying out your instructions every time )

Not sure if it's relevant but I need carry this procedure out every time i retry otherwise it just goes round in circles .

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-message-the-computer-restarted-unexpectedly/b770f14d-e345-e011-90b6-1cc1de79d2e2

your help is appreciated 

regards

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,824 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:27 PM

What is the AMD CPU on the motherboard? It's an AMD64, correct?

If you have a valid key then download the iso of your Windows 7 version using this tool. The download is from Microsoft. Your AV may flag it but its a false positive.

Note: It has been said that Microsoft will still Activate a Windows 10 install using a valid Windows 7 key. If you are interested in Windows 10  that could be another option. 

Use the Media Creation Tool on a Windows 7 or later computer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

#5 firsttaff

firsttaff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:28 AM

hi 

yes it's a AMD64  I did as instructed  several time regrettably with the same result  , windows freezes at the end install section (there was no %  progress bar with this copy of W7 )

Do you have any other ideas please?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:33 AM

Back to the basics...you have a genuine license to install Win 7 on this system?

No install media will assist you if you don't and are trying to install Win 7 on a system with only a valid XP license for that system.

Louis.

#7 firsttaff

firsttaff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

Hello 

ok, I was given this pc  which had a genuine copy of xp 64 on it ( the sticker with the code is on the case ,) so am I correct in understanding that because of this it will only run xp ? and that I can't upgrade even with a purchased copy of W7 ??

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,824 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

Even without a valid key Windows 7 should complete the install. I am not sure if this is some kind of hardware compatibility problem with Windows 7 or a problem with the hard drive itself. 

This is just a temporary solution to determine if the problem is hardware or not. Burn the iso of the Mint distro, boot and see if it installs completely and runs.

Download the iso of Mint 17.1 Cinnamon. 

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=172

If it fails then the next step is to check your hard drive and memory.

Edit: Is this problem using DVDs for the install? Have you attempted an install using a USB flash drive though I do not know if the MB supports booting from USB.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 May 2017 - 11:20 AM.

#9 firsttaff

firsttaff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

hello 

i apologise for my late reply , but work was pressing and jobs needed doing 
I did as you asked and downloaded and installed correctly , the motherboard does not support booting from a usb , however it does from a USB-CD so i tried this with the previously downloaded windows 7 cd (as directed above ) and the same thing happens  froze at the same place .?

once again I appreciate any advice 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,824 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

So linux installed correctly but Windows 7 did not? I am assuming you downloaded a new iso file of Windows 7. Just before Windows 7 says scanning for devices have you tried removing the USB CD player? 

If it still fails use Plop Boot Manager to boot a USB flash drive. I have used it on a computer that does not support booting from a USB flash drive. 

Download the iso file of Plop. Burn to a disk and boot with the USB flash drive attached. Use the arrow keys to select USB and press enter. Plop should be able to start the Windows 7 USB install. Use Rufus with a Windows 7 iso to create the bootable flash drive.

https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/index.html

https://download.plop.at/files/bootmngr/plpbt-5.0.15.zip

In the zip file you will find the iso file to burn.

bootmngr5_2.jpg

#11 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:34 PM

okay going out on a limb here, but...

I remember reading about something like this YEARS ago.  Problem with installing via USB device was solved by setting in BIOS.  I can't remember much more than that, so no context, and no other connections to the idea, but it's strong enough with my mind to warrant posting here in case it's helpful.  Perhaps it will provoke additional help from someone else.  Look through your BIOS, and see if there are any settings that might help in allowing an O/S to install via USB.  Also research your make/model of your computer and see if anyone else has had similar problems installing via USB.

You might need to slipstream drivers into your O/S installation disk, in case the native Win7 devices will not work with some part of your computer (motherboard, CPU, or whatever).  Again, this might show up in a Google search of your specific computer.  Was it built for Win7?  You may simply have a compatibility issue with Win7, i.e. no drivers were made for it for Win7 until possibly after Win7 was released.  I've seen this on laptops that were made for XP, and with some effort you can sometimes get them to use Win7.  So the USB issue may not be the problem, it could be drivers.

Also make certain that you are installing to a "bare bones" system, i.e. NO printers, or any other peripheral device(s).  Remove whatever isn't necessary to the installation of the O/S.

#12 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:39 PM

Bad News:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_DOWNLOAD.aspx?DetailID=544&CategoryID=1&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=24&LanID=0

According to this, there are no drivers for Win7 for this motherboard. That doesn't mean it CAN'T use Win7, but it does mean you are in the weeds and without manufacturer support.  You will probably need to use nLite to slipstream drivers into the Win7 installation disk, if you can find them.  I would start researching Google keywords that include both your m/b model number and "win7" and "drivers", etc...  Maybe you'll find an isolated island of expertise somewhere where some people have gotten Win7 to install on this motherboard.

#13 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:42 PM

Another Idea:

Install Vista and then see if you can upgrade to Win7 afterwards.

#14 firsttaff

firsttaff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

Again sorry for the delay in replying , 

ok so i tried a few of the above  inc vista but no go i'm afraid , I have now spent enough of your's and my time on this and I have just re instaled xp 64 and later on in the year  I'll just build a new pc 

again my heartfelt thanks and respect to you for your time and effort

i wish you all the best 

thank you 

Bryan 

#15 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:51 PM

Again sorry for the delay in replying , 

ok so i tried a few of the above  inc vista but no go i'm afraid , I have now spent enough of your's and my time on this and I have just re instaled xp 64 and later on in the year  I'll just build a new pc 

again my heartfelt thanks and respect to you for your time and effort

i wish you all the best 

thank you 

Bryan 

I wonder if it will let you upgrade to Win7 from XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users