Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Centos 6.5 in Windows Vista PC with NVIDIA graphics card

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NickWUK

NickWUK

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:18 AM

I'm trying to install Centos 6.5 from CD as a dual boot on an old Acer Aspire PC with Windows Vista and an NVIDIA graphics card, but error message display during the setup. The errors refer to 'nouveau' and 'failed to idle channel'. From searching the web I believe I need to first install an NVIDIA driver, but how do I do that during setup? Btw I have minimal knowledge of Linux/Centos.

By clicking the down arrow (I think any key would work) it revealed a menu that allowed me to choose boot with basic video. When the screen loads I see there is an option to install the hard drive, but is that going give the same errors until the install references the NVIDIA drivers? Also the mouse and keyboard don't seem to work.

There is 50GB of unallocated space on the disk.

Can the install be set to use basic video?

UPDATE: Seems I have been using the 'Live' DVD, apparently I need the installation DVD, which I'm downloading.

Edited by NickWUK, 20 May 2017 - 11:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,273 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

I am unsure if CentOS is the best route for you especially if you are a new linux user plus nouveau drivers typically suck when trying a desktop like gnome shell which CentOS usaes as its main inteface.

Any reason why you want to use CentOS?

If new to linux use Linux Mint and for your hardware Mint 18.1 with the MATE desktop will suit you better as its got a more traditional windows like interface, same goes for XFCE.

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

CentOS while indeed a good distro would not be my first choice for a fresh linux user, its "enterprise class" designation means nothing in terms of quality over another distribution such as Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Manjaro and so foruth.

It just means its something that will be better if you want to make a server or something but even there I say there are better options like Debian.

CentOS will be a uphill battle if you want thinks like multimedia playback too, and its default interface gnome shell I really hate and for a new user coming from windows its absolute crap.

Edited by MadmanRB, 20 May 2017 - 01:46 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 NickWUK

NickWUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

The only reasons for choosing CentOS were (1) I had what I thought was an install disk, and (2) my web hosting account is on a CentOS server. I have previously installed CentOS on another PC before but it was a while ago so can't remember the details, but configuration afterwards was indeed an up hill struggle. In which case I might take your advise and try Linux Mint with MATE desktop. 

Thanks for your help!

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,273 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:37 PM

Yeah thats the thing about linux is that not all distros do the same thing.
Unlike windows which is meant to be "universal" linux has many flavors and variations and while at first this sounds bad and confusing its actually a good thing.
I mean remember when Vista came out and how thanks to its heaviness it didnt work for many people thus became a flop in the process, linux on the other hand doesnt have this issue and each distro is catered for a different audience.
CentOS is made more for servers as is Redhat
Mint is meant for new users as is Ubuntu (to a point)
There are many others to choose but you can learn them at your own pace if you wished.
I know of distros targeted at advanced users who like to tweak their own systems from the ground up like Arch and Slackware
Or distros who can be both for pros and beginners like Manjaro and Antergos.
I know a lot of funny names but thats why I like linux as there is such a interesting history with it.

Edited by MadmanRB, 20 May 2017 - 06:25 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 NickWUK

NickWUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:33 AM

I like the look of Linux Mint, I've been reading this article. Mate looks like a good choice although I'm wondering if I would be better with the lighter weight Xfce on an old Acer Aspire 32bit Windows Vista machine. It also suggests version 17 rather than 18 for older computers.

The PC spec:

Acer Aspire M1640

Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 2GHz

4GB RAM

32 bit

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,273 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:36 AM

Both the MATE and XFCE editions should do and run about the same.

Also still better try the more recent release for Mint as you would have a more clear upgrade path, it cant hurt to try it after all.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 NickWUK

NickWUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:50 PM

I really like the Linux Mint Mate! I followed these instructions installing across 3 new partitions, and it's now installed and working alongside Vista. However I notice the graphics are not too stable, the desktop is fine, and videos are ok when played half screen size, but cause issues when maximised, eg I lost the mouse and had to switch off. Also the background images on the login screen flicker wildly.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,273 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:20 PM

Well good to hear that you got it working :D

As for your issues you may have to play with the settings, there is a control center in it where you can turn off compositing.

Its under "desktop settings" in said control center.

Though drivers may still be a bit glitched, hard to say until you play around a little.

If Mate wont cut it you can install XFCE without reinstalling the whole entire system, there is something called synaptic package manager on mint where you can install XFCE and its components.

There is command line too but I will let you get your feet wet first as hey its a new OS for you and all.

Edited by MadmanRB, 21 May 2017 - 03:23 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 NickWUK

NickWUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:01 PM

Installing the nVidia graphics driver as explained here fixed the screen flicker. Brilliant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users