Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot device changes every day

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Spinner67

Spinner67

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:16 PM

Dear Bleeping Computer,

Since a week, the boot up of my system is taking ages. Also going into setup is not as easy as 'power up, press DEL and 1, 2, 3 there we are'. In stead the screen stays black for a long time, while the harddrive light is blinking on and off in a steady rate.

At some point a black screen appears with some information as 'detected atapi devices', 1) enter setup 2) continue

Upon entering setup, the boot drive is moved to the last position. Every day I move the bootdrive to first position, save the configuration and Windows 7 starts normally. When I switch my computer off for the day, I know that tomorrow I will have the same issue again.

System specs

MSI Z97 GAMING 5

Intel Core i7 4770K Boxed

Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A1600

MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G

OCZ Vector 180 120GB

Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ, 1TB

Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ, 750GB (very old, 7+ years)

My boot drive is the OCZ Vector 180 with Windows 7 Ultimate installed as only OS.

So what is going on ?

Any insight is very appreciated.

Spinner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:41 AM

Somethings to try 

1/ Change the Cmos Battery on the Board.

2/ Disconnect the other 2 Drives and ony have the SSD connected with Windows and Boot again.

If the result then is Ok , it may be an issue with the other Drives at Boot.

If not then it maybe the SSD Drive and further scans and posts required.

#3 Spinner67

Spinner67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:42 AM

When I open the computer up, I would rather have a replacement battery at hand. Are those all the same or specific type ?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:19 AM

The standard CMOS battery is a CR2032 model for desktops.  I don't know what the price is where you live, but they are available here in the U.S. for less than $5, available just about anywhere (grocery stores, hardware stores, any place selling electronic batteries).

Once you replace that, boot the system and go into the BIOS and ensure that the correct drive is set as the first boot device...save the settings.  System will then auto reboot into Windows.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users